Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

allow display order of elements saved with views

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like the display order of different elements to be saved with a view. In other one saved view might have something in front of another and a different saved view could reverse or change this relationship.
7 REPLIES 7
TomWaltz
Participant
I'm curious, what's the goal/application for this? I'm having a hard time coming up with one.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
I'm curious, what's the goal/application for this? I'm having a hard time coming up with one.
One classic is reflected ceiling versus plan view of the same elements. Another I ran into today had to do with screening the bulk of the plan with a 50% white fill and drawing over the top for structural schematics. I would have liked to move everything to the back, but hesitate to do so incase I had set a "stacking" order in another drawing. If I had the ability to save the display order with a view, it would give me this added flexibility.
TomWaltz
Participant
Would a better projection of the view and perhaps even better control of the cut planes give the same results?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Would a better projection of the view and perhaps even better control of the cut planes give the same results?
I am not convinced a pure cut plane representation will serve our needs. Until we hand off a digital 3d file to the contractor, building officials and consultants, our drawings are abstractions designed to effectively communicate the necessary information. I am all for better cut plane control and in currently reserve it for times it is needed versus using it on all my elements. The added time and complexity of cut plane control and display add too much to an already overly complex environment. That is my current opinion anyway...
TomWaltz
Participant
Sorry, when you said ceiling plan, it touched on a thought I've had that cut planes should be able to look up and I kind of locked on to it.

What was the 50% fill for on your structural plan? To make part of the plan gray?
Tom Waltz
__archiben
Booster
Mike wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
I am not convinced a pure cut plane representation will serve our needs.
whether you like it or not a cut plane height value is saved with your view, so why not use that instead: display order is based on the top of the element's distance away from the cut plane falling away from it. (... as a default and modified accordingly which should take care of most situations).

then - when your MVO is showing as 'RCP' the display order reverses based on bottom of elements away from the cut plane rising upwards . . .

better to let the model do as much for you as it can to begin with and have only minor, less complicated tweaks (tweeks? tweets? ) to make and maintain when you need to take over yourself . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
What was the 50% fill for on your structural plan? To make part of the plan gray?
You are correct. Just an alternate to using another pen set.

The notion of a cut plane looking up and as archiben suggested the display order reversing with a "RCP" model view option would be good.