Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

auto dimension to wall framing

Gus
Newcomer
I wish we could autodimention to the wall framing not the extent of the wall profile (if you are using a complex profile). Framers don't care about the stuff going on the outside of the wall like stucco or siding.
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
27 REPLIES 27
TomWaltz
Participant
Link wrote:
vfrontiers wrote:
I guess I should have said AUTOMATIC dimensioning...
uh not really, that is what the thread is about!

Cheers,
Link.
Oops.... sorry, about that!
Tom Waltz
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Happens to the best of us - hurry up and help! Twice in one thread!

Cheers,
Link.
Link,

I think the OP's original issue HAS been answered on this thread.

1) Automatic dimensioning works just fine on complex PROFILES.
2) Automatic dimensioning will use the CORE, if the complex PROFILE was created from a COMPOSITE that has a correctly defined structure. And if you redefine the structural core, and create new automatic dimensions, the dimensions will reflect the new core thickness.
EDIT: Sometimes you need to toggle "Entire element" to "floor plan range" in the wall settings.

At least it works fine on MY system. The whole point is that the requested function is already there. However, my original assumption was that because of the small number of posts by the OP, there was a high likelihood that the OP was relatively new to AC and was probably confusing "complex profile" with "composite". Regardless, the wish has already been granted.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Richard wrote:
Link,

I think the OP's original issue HAS been answered on this thread.

1) Automatic dimensioning works just fine on complex PROFILES.
Well that's just it - I don't think auto dimensioning does work just fine on complex profile walls. Sure we can adjust our cut plane but there is no way AFAICS to show the entire wall, but just dimension to the 'core' of it.

Cheers,
Link.
Link wrote:
Well that's just it - I don't think auto dimensioning does work just fine on complex profile walls. Sure we can adjust our cut plane but there is no way AFAICS to show the entire wall, but just dimension to the 'core' of it.
Well, all I can tell you is that it works that way for me. If you START with composite that has a defined-core and make the complex profile from THAT, if the core is visible in the plan view, the automatic dimensioning goes to the core. You may have to change from "Floor Plan Range" to "Entire Element" or vice versa, to get the dimensions to recognize properly. Here are some images of a test I did.
Core1.png
Richard
Second image:
Richard
Third image:
(Edit: Sorry, just noted that the dimensions were set to display to 1/4 rather than 1/8, so the core dimensions look off -- 3 1/2" vs. 3 5/8" -- from Image 1)
Richard
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Point taken. And that's a good workaround, thanks.

If we have an existing complex profile, such as the Precast T, there's nothing to indicate what should be the core and auto dimensioned. Maybe GS should think about a setting similar to the opening references?

Cheers,
Link.
Pete
Newcomer
Sorry to dredge up this old thread guys, but I can't even get regular composite walls to auto-dimension correctly. Using exterior auto-dim, the core is picked up but the intersections with interior walls is no longer picked up.

The first string is openings and the second string picks up interior wall intersections, UNLESS I use composites.

I have been using AC since 6.0 and am embarrassed to say I have never been able to use composites because they create more problems than they solve. I want to use composites and I want to use auto-dimensioning. Is there a trick I am missing?
Pete Read
ArchiCAD 12; Artlantis Studio 2
MacBook Pro 2.4 Core2Duo, 2GB, OSX(10.5) and XPpro(SP3)
Erika Epstein
Booster
Pete,
You are right it doesn't. I haven't used the autodimension feature in some time as I seem to spend more time erasing points than time saved, so I just played with it AC11.1114

When autodimensioning did dimension the interior walls, it did it to both sides of the wall/core and then you had to erase one of the dimensions on each wall. I found it faster just to drag a copy of the overall dimension and then add the points to one side of the wall.

For placing overall dimensions it can still save a lot of time.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"