BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

auto solid element operations for certain objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have build a whole series of complex profiles such as standing seam metal cladding ( could only find the roof, but not vertical ) and other detailed paneling ( trespa, hardie board ) ... needless to say the complex profiler rocks !!!

I put these panelings in front of the walls where I put my windows and doors in ( like you would in real construction I guess ) but then I have to SEO my windows and doors out of there. It would be great if lets say under the window and door options there would be a "turn on SEO object" function or something like that that would automatically build a rectangle/block/slab around the window by that would subtract a region around the door ( perhaps in all directions ) so that you don;t have to manually have to model slabs and subtract these from the complex profiles.....

what do you think ??
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
I don't see how this could be feasible...

Solid Element Ops have to have the operand specified... and there isn't a means to say "anything that is touched", which is what you want. Even if it were possible, how could the 'auto' subtract always do the right thing - it would be the famous DWIM ('do what I mean') command - expecting the software to infer intent.

But, maybe I don't really understand the request...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I see your point, but I guess is what I mean is a setting that would perhaps initiate all doors and windows and have the "magic" option turned on, then select the target

what I have done in the past with a series of windows is to draw a shape for each window or door is and then move them in place and do the subtraction

So ideally a setting of the window that allows you to automatically draw a box around it ( or any kind of shape following the window ), being able to offset this or make it bigger or smaller, move it forward etc.. and then being able to use this in function to subtract these volumes in one go ... does that make sense ???
I think he wants opening library parts to be able to cut other walls or even elements other than walls. SEO is the right instinct since that way anything can cut anything.

It would be imaginable with two wishes/changes: 1) Windows and doors need to be allowed as operators. 2) There needs to be a way in GDL to have geometry that is solid from an SEO standpoint but invisible in the placed object. I would call this tech MODEL OPERATOR. (Add to WIRE, SOLID, SURFACE.) Maybe someday.

Even then, it would be a manual operation, not automatic like a door cutting its own wall.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is actually possible, or at least it was.
This thing have changed since I left and then came back to Archicad I'm not really sure how it works now:
You could build GDL objects that were attached to walls, slabs and roofs, and the cuts in the walls (doors&windows) were done in these objects too. This took quite a tough GDL work though, to make such objects.
This is a thing that GS changed in 10 (or 9).
I'll give it a look soon.
olivier
Learn and get certified!