Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

better renderings

Anonymous
Not applicable
graphisoft please take care of our productivity by improving
the final archicad native rendering engine .
you cannot claim a BIM approach without the full aestetic impact of presentation ideea because architecture still remain
an artistic and visual domain .
for my expectations the renderings made in archicad are NOT
acceptable
only the sketch engine is good.
if you dont intend to offer a competitive rendering engine i will loose a lot of money and you too.
5 REPLIES 5
stefan
Expert
I have two suggestions:

1 - improving the rendering engine would be welcomed, but it shouldn't get in the way of the usual workflow.
I suggest not to develop a new one, but rather licensing an existing one and make sure it is 100% compatible within ArchiCAD itself.

2 - making a good connection with existing rendering engines.
E.g. like the VectorWorks to Cinema4D connection
or by exporting and rendering out into an external rendering engine. There are a few free ones available, like POV-Ray and Radiance.
Make sure that even when doing this 99% automatic, to allow users to customise it for 100%, to make it fit into a working pipeline.

My wish would be to have a reliable system of hosting ArchiCAD scenes into 3D-animation software like 3ds max or Cinema4D (preferably more then one and covering both PC & Mac). Well, Art*lantis is coming a long way into this direction, but I don't use it.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Artlantis would be MUCH better if they would input a standard rendering interface. Working with a small 'concept' window, and even smaller 3D positioning windows is a headache at times. I would favor a nice clean output to a .3ds file (skins included) as well.
Karl Ottenstein
stefan wrote:
I have two suggestions:

1 - improving the rendering engine would be welcomed, but it shouldn't get in the way of the usual workflow.
I suggest not to develop a new one, but rather licensing an existing one and make sure it is 100% compatible within ArchiCAD itself.

2 - making a good connection with existing rendering engines.
E.g. like the VectorWorks to Cinema4D connection
or by exporting and rendering out into an external rendering engine. There are a few free ones available, like POV-Ray and Radiance.
Make sure that even when doing this 99% automatic, to allow users to customise it for 100%, to make it fit into a working pipeline.

My wish would be to have a reliable system of hosting ArchiCAD scenes into 3D-animation software like 3ds max or Cinema4D (preferably more then one and covering both PC & Mac). Well, Art*lantis is coming a long way into this direction, but I don't use it.
My wish for well over a year, is that Graphisoft hire Stefan as a consultant and address these issues! Stefan's web site, graduate studies, and contributions on this list show him to be superbly qualified to assist Graphisoft in moving forward in this area.

Of course, I agree with all of the above and nearly anything that Stefan says. 😉

My 2 cents,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
chad.lawson wrote:
Artlantis would be MUCH better if they would input a standard rendering interface. Working with a small 'concept' window, and even smaller 3D positioning windows is a headache at times.
Hi Chad,

All of the 3D positioning windows are stretchy (at least on Windows). I generally make them quite big, and use zooming, too...whether camera position, lamp position, etc. But, maybe that's not what you were talking about.

There are also a bunch of shortcut keys that let you work in all of these windows. Stuart James discovered these and posted them to the old list (now escribe) as a tip ... for which he should have gotten tip of the month, but didn't. This is the wrong thread to post them, but if you're interested in them and more, perhaps start a new 'Artlantis' thread and he or I will dig them up.

Agree wholeheartedly with your other comments - particularly the tiny preview window...which would be easier to get around if zooming was more 'normal' and all mapped to keys.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
ARTLANTIS IT S A SPEEDER BUT FOR INTERIOR PRESENTATIONS FOR MEE IT IS A PAIN TO SET THE
101 LIGHTING TO PUT LIGHT ACCENTS ON VOLUMES
A SOLID INTERNAL RENDER ENGINE WITH AN
EXPERT AND NOVICE SWITCH FOR SPEED AND QULITY
SEPARATION BETWEEN USUAL WORKING AND FINAL
RENDERING IS MORE SUITABLE
IF ARCHICAD WILL CAN DO PROFESSIONAL RENDERINGS
THEN
I WILL ROTX 360
ENDIF