Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

custom profile at roof edge

cremsberg
Participant
I am learning the new profile options for beams, which I am using to add eave & rake profiles to my edge of roof. Boy is this tedious, however. It would be SOOOO much faster to apply a profile directly to the roof edge. I could chose from: square, plumb, horizontal, custom angle or CUSTOM PROFILE from the pet palette pop-up window. This way the profiled roof edge would change heights automatically with the roof, and the eave-rake corners might meet smoothly.
Claire Remsberg

Remsberg Architecture, P.A.

MacBook Pro, OSX 12.6, ArchiCAD v25 (5010)
9 REPLIES 9
Dwight
Newcomer
And yours won't be the first wish.

Archicad is challenged when making TUBE type elements (extrusions that turn) when turning corners and changing elevation at the same time.

While I support your wish, even after-market utilities that do your wished-for function are best used in one plane only since they are imperfect when turning corners.

Until this problem is resolved, I suggest that you create your roof edge elements as modules to be called into future projects. These pieces would be created for each roof slope angle you use and contain the corner detail you prefer. This multiplies your effort and reduces tedium.
Dwight Atkinson
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
That's been on my wish list since ver. 4.55
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
genarch
Enthusiast
Yes, custom roof profiles would be excellent. The roof tool is so simplistic, which is fine for massing models. But it quickly becomes too clumsy when generating medium-detailed models.
Mac OSX 11.6.8

AC26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

iMac Pro 2017 / 8-core 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
.......... even after-market utilities.........
Dwight, have you ever test drive Objective? It does the trick. Let me know what you think.
Joseph
genarch
Enthusiast
Joseph wrote:
Dwight, have you ever test drive Objective? It does the trick. Let me know what you think.
Joseph
How about a link to it?
Mac OSX 11.6.8

AC26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

iMac Pro 2017 / 8-core 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
genarch wrote:
Joseph wrote:
Joseph
How about a link to it?
http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I spoke to the GS design team about this during a trip to Budapest in 2005. They indicated the problem was determining what edge the eave was. Take a polyroof for example, the edges can be eaves, ridges, hips or valleys.

I agree that it is needed, but it is obviously a complex problem that would consume a lot of resources.

Cheers,
Link.
jp
Contributor
I agree that this should be included. I think stupid Autocad can do this now. I understand that it has some difficulties in programming. As a start they could only allow the profile at the edge aligned and nearest the pivot line. That should narrow it down.

Currently, I do create profiled roof edges, even ones that will turn and go up the rake. Think about subtracting from the edge. I make a profile that is a negative of the edge profile I want. I make it usable for a beam, and I make a beam with this profile and I put it on a 3d-Cutters layer (i set this layer to wireframe display). I then subtract it from the roof edge. To get the rake profile, you have to know how to construct that profile shape from scratch with old drafting methods. They used to show this in Graphic Standards. If you move the roof, you have to move the cutters too. It's a pain, but you can create pediments this way without an add-on modeler.
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Dalgliesh Gilpin Paxton Architects
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac
Stress Co_
Advisor
Same WISH, only older
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)