Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

customisable arrow heads!

__archiben
Booster
i would love to have the ability to add my own customisable arrow heads to the default selection.

i think that the default selection is currently region-based (US, INT, etc.) and compatible with the drafting protocols and standards used by these regions. however, they are somewhat 'technical' in their manifestation, and the ability to create some custom presentation arrow heads would be welcome.

i believe that archicad 8.1 can now properly export archicad labels (inc. arrow heads) to autocad leaders, so in their implementation of this wish, i would also expect to see archicad create a custom leader/arrow head compatible with autocad custom leaders/arrow heads rather than have archicad explode it to lines and fills as it used to do...

thanks graphisoft!
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
17 REPLIES 17
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
klaude wrote:
Stop spending money on expensive marketing crap...
I REALLY doubt this is an issue. And I, for one, think GS marketing is more important than customizable arrowheads -- I would also doubt that one has anything to do with the other.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
DaveOlufs
Participant
I asked about customizable arrowheads when I started back in 1997. That was one of the first things I wanted... Why? Because the default arrowheads were ugly but at the time one was stuck with ACs forced look. Things haven't changed much in 13 years.

It's hard to incorporate personality into AC drawings. Oh, but maybe you're not suppose to... what was I thinking. But look at the other things AC can do...
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
Anonymous
Not applicable
11 1/2 years and counting.
Brad Elliott
Booster
This is unbelievable. My cheap pdf mark up program that has nothing to do with CAD even has this option.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
DaveOlufs wrote:
I asked about customizable arrowheads when I started back in 1997. That was one of the first things I wanted... Why? Because the default arrowheads were ugly but at the time one was stuck with ACs forced look.
I am a new user, and I agree!! The default arrowheads are ugly, and not even standard size. The first thing I wanted to do was to customize the arrowheads to the standard of length = 3 times the width. It's a shame we've had to beg for it for 20 years ..... and still not have a standard sized arrowhead. Seems like it should be so simple..............
John Dunham
Participant
Also, being able to have different types of heads at the ends of lines e.g slashes, circles, dots, etc. as well as different combinations e.g an arrow one end, a circle at the other, etc....this is so basic we shouldn't be asking for it...
John

OS X 10.15.7
henryL
Enthusiast
There are rumors about customisable arrow heads on Archicad 74
Professor Pickle
Advocate
I don't really need to be able to customise the arrow heads themselves but it would be very helpful if we could have different arrow heads at the ends of lines. This would make creating certain types of annotations much easier and increase the power of the tool. For example, I could have a circle/dot at one end, to signify the start of a "path", and an arrow at the other end to show direction.

This would not be a big code change as we can already choose the arrow and specify whether we want it at one end of both ends. All that's needed is the ability to specify separate arrow styles for each end.

By the way, when it comes to software architecture, I think that it is very easy to look at the "big picture" and only see some greater scheme that lies ahead of us in the future and drive the software towards that "end". But there is no end. It's a moving target. There are many gains to be had by picking the low lying fruit, things that are easy to implement and are relevant right now, not in the future, but now in this moment.

This wish is an example of one such feature. It's simple and seemingly meaningless when compared to the oncoming AR revolution (oh, it's coming) but if implemented it would make so many people happy as it would actually enhance their workflow and make their jobs easier, right now, not at some imagined time in the future.
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6