BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

deleting points from mesh?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to create a mesh using the magic (whatever it's called) tool and later delete a lot of the mesh points? I am asking because that would be super helpfull for applying street heights to a terrain, so I don't need to edit every and each little point of the mesh...
I know there are the solid element operations, I tried them but afterwards it takes forever to render the perspective (it seemed fine after it cut the streets out of the terrain for a whole night). So no I am looking for alternative to the SEOs, any suggestions?

- suse
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
The magic wand tool is what you meam.

Yes you can create your mesh and contours with the magic wand tool.
But unfortunately you can just delete a node on a mesh.
Like any polygon element you need to drag a node onto its neighbouring node to delete it.

You can cheat a bit though if you need to delete a lot of nodes.
Select the mesh and then left click on an edge so you see the pet palette.
Choose the "Subtract from polygon" option and draw around all the nodes you want to delete.
Remember you can use rectangular or irregular polygon drawing geometry to get exactly the nodes you need.
This will cut a big hole in your mesh.
If you want to make this area flat you can select one of those hole nodes and use the pet palette to set the height - tick the "Apply to all button" and all the nodes around the hole will be the same hieght.
Now with the mesh still selected left click on an edge and choose the "Add to polygon" option and magic wnad on the perimeter of the hole.

If you set the heights of the hole perimeter nodes you will have a flat fill in the middle.
If you didn't the mesh will retriangulate based on the remaining nodes.
Either way the ones you wanted to delete will be gone.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Actually you can delete an entire ridge (contour) if you select it along the line and not by the nodes.
You will see just that ridge select.
But if you want to delete just part of it it is drag individual nodes or cut and fill a hole as mentioned before.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!