Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

different sectional fills for walls

__archiben
Booster
firstly - i'm sure that this has been mentioned somewhere in the forum before, but i couldn't find it. i am raising it again because of its importance to me in producing the kind of production information that i currently have to turn out.

so here goes (again):

there has to be the ability to define a different fill for a wall in section from that in plan. we work a lot with masonry construction and until the walls we create can show block coursing in section we will continue to have to redraw sections when we come to produce 1:50/1:20, etc production information.

i'm not entirely sure how this would be implemented - i guess that logically this would be a separate field in the tool settings dialogue, although consideration would have to be given to composites . . . you would not want to define two different composites for the same wall, rather to display a context-aware fill for the same composite.

make sense? useful?
hope so . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
In addition to the fill changing, you would also need control of the origin in the section as you have on the 3d hatching. This would give you control to use the block hatching and set a coursing with it.

Just wanted to add a little more to think about.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a lot of material in this topic.

One part of the solution could be some form of scale sensitivity in the composites. I fake this right now by making all parts of the cavity wall and the entirety of roofs and slabs the same. This way they look good at small scales and clean up to a nice outline in 3D. I have to add fills at the larger scales of plan and section details but this seems like a reasonable trade off for now.

It would definitely be nice to have the composites automatically do what we want in each view, but I think this will be a complex development, piece by piece.

One piece that would be really nice would be for the outline pens to clean up in section as they do in plan. Just because fills of connected elements are different in section doesn't mean I want them separated by a heavy black line.
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Another case in which it would be helpful to have different fills as an option is the one when you have to draw for example a low parapet with empty fill on plan (not sectioned) and a different wall fill on a section drawing.
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
__archiben
Booster
Petros wrote:
Another case in which it would be helpful to have different fills as an option is the one when you have to draw for example a low parapet with empty fill on plan (not sectioned) and a different wall fill on a section drawing.
petros

this is where matthew's 'new working environment' with cut-plan windows resolves these kinds of high and low level tricky plan elements!

http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?t=864

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Already voted!
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Aladar Kish
Contributor
~/archiben wrote:
...there has to be the ability to define a different fill for a wall in section from that in plan...

~/archiben
I agree whole heartedly
AC 4.2 - AC 24 7006 FRA
mac OS 11.6.7
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
~/archiben wrote:
there has to be the ability to define a different fill for a wall in section from that in plan.
~/archiben
Absolutely!
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
As well as different line types from plan to section. I created a dashed wall for a plan view to represent a wall above, but when cutting a section the wall still shows dashed. Before I would not worry about this as it is easily fixed by unlinking the section, but now I'm trying to use more linked sections. It would seem that walls and probably other tools need to have separate plan and section line types, fills, line weights etc.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
~/archiben wrote:
firstly - i'm sure that this has been mentioned somewhere in the forum before, but i couldn't find it.
http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?t=205&highlight=&sid=d1cfea58706fd56...
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x