BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

different sectional fills for walls

__archiben
Booster
firstly - i'm sure that this has been mentioned somewhere in the forum before, but i couldn't find it. i am raising it again because of its importance to me in producing the kind of production information that i currently have to turn out.

so here goes (again):

there has to be the ability to define a different fill for a wall in section from that in plan. we work a lot with masonry construction and until the walls we create can show block coursing in section we will continue to have to redraw sections when we come to produce 1:50/1:20, etc production information.

i'm not entirely sure how this would be implemented - i guess that logically this would be a separate field in the tool settings dialogue, although consideration would have to be given to composites . . . you would not want to define two different composites for the same wall, rather to display a context-aware fill for the same composite.

make sense? useful?
hope so . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
21 REPLIES 21
__archiben
Booster
knew that it must have been here somewhere geoff! thanks!

no harm in bring it to the fore again though, eh?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
~/archiben wrote:
no harm in bring it to the fore again though, eh?
No harm at all. Like fixing up text handling, the urgency of improvements to walls and composites needs to be reiterated frequently. The ongoing discussion about vertical composites is a timely parallel. As evidenced by my referenced post I feel that many of these issues would be helped along immensely by taking a comprehensive review of all the major tools and providing a consistent set of features: distinct plan and section attributes, show on multiple stories, elevation pen, fills in plan, etc. All of these features exist in one tool or another but are not universally implemented. Thus these wishes come up over and over. Instead of enhancing one tool at a time I'd love to see GS approach this holistically. A great benefit newbies and power users alike.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
cremsberg
Participant
Yes, most urgent - for those seeking ultimate efficiency and true BIM - control for a different fill in plan and section for all 3D elements!!! Right now I sure could use it for walls. While GS is at it, control for line types - different in plan & section.
Claire Remsberg

Remsberg Architecture, P.A.

MacBook Pro, OSX 12.6, ArchiCAD v25 (5010)
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
cremsberg,

mate what are you talking about? your signature shows AC12...
you have brought up two discussions from 4 years ago! I think we have already moved a significant way from that... what about cover fills for slabs/roofs/meshes and floor cutting plane + wall visibility?
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob,

It was my suggestion to post in the old wishes in this thread -

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=133064

This wish hasn't been granted yet, so as far as I can tell, this is as good a place as any to express their desire for the feature.

Anyway, what do coverfills have to do with anything? This is to do with having a different plan fill to sectional fill for walls.
cremsberg
Participant
Hi Rob -

I can't see how "cover fills for slabs/roofs/meshes and floor cutting plane + wall visibility" will answer my need, though I have given it an honest try. Aren't cover fills for when you are outside of an element and looking at the surface of it? I need to control the section cut fill as different from the floor plan cut fill of a wall. Please help me out if I am missing something. I am not familiar with "wall visibility". Where is that controlled? I cannot find in Help.

I also need the control of section & wall fills to be element-specific, not for the entire section cut or floor plan.

I am also following similar threads here:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=133410#133410
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=133064
Claire Remsberg

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
cremsberg wrote:
I also need the control of section & wall fills to be element-specific, not for the entire section cut or floor plan.
A specific example would be helpful.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
cremsberg
Participant
Laura -
Here is a floor plan and a section, showing the same exterior wall and how I would LIKE things to work in 3D, though I had to trace over walls in section with 2D fill to get the desired fill pattern. Note that desired fill pattern for framed walls in section is not necessarily the same as for concrete walls, slabs, roofs, etc, so I don't want to globally control the entire section for a different fill.
Picture 4.png
Claire Remsberg

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
I guess where I can relate to this is where you have batt insulation within the stud space -- usually this is not indicated in plan, but is desirable in section. In sections, we use a batt insulation object with a background fill to mask any poche in within the stud space. In your examples, I don't see why your walls can't be represented the same in plan as they are in section.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
__archiben
Booster
Laura wrote:
I don't see why your walls can't be represented the same in plan as they are in section.
for most applications it's fine. where i've often found myself wanting different fills is in masonry construction - bricks and blocks. it's actually more of a 'level of detail' issue i guess - a lot of our buildings are small enough that we draw at a large(?) scale.

i'm currently using cadimage's rapid detail elements to put block/brick coursing over the wall element's fill - much like the 2D insulation element in the cavities - but it would be nice to be able to configure some kind of 'intelligent fill'. imagine the possibilities . . . ?

cheers
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Learn and get certified!