Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

different sectional fills for walls

__archiben
Booster
firstly - i'm sure that this has been mentioned somewhere in the forum before, but i couldn't find it. i am raising it again because of its importance to me in producing the kind of production information that i currently have to turn out.

so here goes (again):

there has to be the ability to define a different fill for a wall in section from that in plan. we work a lot with masonry construction and until the walls we create can show block coursing in section we will continue to have to redraw sections when we come to produce 1:50/1:20, etc production information.

i'm not entirely sure how this would be implemented - i guess that logically this would be a separate field in the tool settings dialogue, although consideration would have to be given to composites . . . you would not want to define two different composites for the same wall, rather to display a context-aware fill for the same composite.

make sense? useful?
hope so . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
21 REPLIES 21
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
~/archiben wrote:
Laura wrote:
I don't see why your walls can't be represented the same in plan as they are in section.
[I was referring to the specific example given]
~/archiben wrote:
for most applications it's fine. where i've often found myself wanting different fills is in masonry construction - bricks and blocks. it's actually more of a 'level of detail' issue i guess - a lot of our buildings are small enough that we draw at a large(?) scale.

i'm currently using cadimage's rapid detail elements to put block/brick coursing over the wall element's fill - much like the 2D insulation element in the cavities - but it would be nice to be able to configure some kind of 'intelligent fill'. imagine the possibilities . . . ?

This is true -- we use a similar approach with masonry -- and it is a 'level of detail' issue: not really necessary until you get into the larger scales. I can see the benefit (but it would be yet another setting to manage...).
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
jp
Contributor
I think this is a great idea. I asked for esentially the same things except I looked at it a different way. Your request would work for me too. Take a look at my post. I'm going to vote now in favor of your suggestion

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=139425#139425
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Dalgliesh Gilpin Paxton Architects
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac