Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

dimension superscript

Aussie John
Newcomer
I wish dimension superscripts could be applied to the measured dimension rather than just the custom dimension. (so if the dimesion is modified then the dimension updates and keeps the superscript)
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
12 REPLIES 12
Djordje
Ace
Aussie wrote:
I wish dimension superscripts could be applied to the measured dimension rather than just the custom dimension. (so if the dimesion is modified then the dimension updates and keeps the superscript)
They can, if you keep your precision at the required superscript.

Or did I compeltely misunderstand?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Aussie John
Newcomer
I can insert a cursor to this field but cant enter text.

It has been like this since the feature started in version 7

It was also reported to GS as a bug back then.

I presume this is just a bug in the Mac system.
Cheers John
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not a bug really. You can either keep the dimension text associative or you can make it custom. What you're describing is using both.
Out of curiosity, is the superscript used for anything in metric? For imperial units you can have fractions in the superscript, which is how our office does it.
Aussie John
Newcomer
the superscript is a separate text entry and as such is not related to the associative dimension. (get the area of a fill, select it, and open its text properties. You will see that the sq metre bit is superscript)- so it works there so why not on normal dimensions.

I like to use the superscript on level dimensions, using the superscript to indicate exactly what the dimension refers to eg BRICK, STEEL, SILL
Cheers John
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Aussie wrote:
I wish dimension superscripts could be applied to the measured dimension
They can, if you keep your precision at the required superscript.

Or did I compeltely misunderstand?
I think what John meant was the addition of the unit, like 'mm' or 'm' at the end of the dimension.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Perhaps what John is looking for, and I would concur, are Leader and Trailer text fields that can be used while keeping a dimension associative. Very handy for "TYP.", "R.O." etc.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Aussie John
Newcomer
Geoff , you are part right- because you can create a trailer text

I think some people may not be aware of this (part implemented) feature.

Select the text of a dimension string (not the line but the sometimes difficult to find single hotspot just to the left /bottom of the actual dimension number. The double click the text ("A ") icon in the tool box and you will get a dialogue box with superscript info (refer to attachment my initial post.)
Cheers John
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that the dimensioning tool in Archicad is just BARELY adequate for construction document use. Our office's dimensioning capabilities was degraded when we converted to Archicad from Autocad, and we are much less trusting of the dimension values in drawings produced by Archicad than we were in Autocad. And one reason we feel this way is the inability to properly customize the dimension string.

Autocad has always handled this much more elegantly. It uses a placeholder for the measured value (the characters '<>') that can be inserted into the text string. My other favorite was the '\X' characters which would place all text following after it below the dimension line.

Transitioning from Autocad does require a change in thinking, and we have tried to incorporate an office policy where if a custom dimension string is used in Archicad, the color of the cheating text should be changed to a different color so that other users know that it is not associative even though it acts like it is. But even with the great things we are doing with Archicad now, it is obvious that we took the dimensioning tools of Autocad for granted and are now missing them badly. We wish for dimensions at least as technically advanced as in Autocad. With the infrastructure Archicad already has in place, this shouldn't be very difficult.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
the superscript is a separate text entry and as such is not related to the associative dimension. (get the area of a fill, select it, and open its text properties. You will see that the sq metre bit is superscript)- so it works there so why not on normal dimensions.
But it is related to the associative dimension, if you set it to be so in the dimension preferences. You do this by either selecting the extra accuracy option or by the fractions in small type option. And yes the 2 in the square meter bit is superscripted, but try to edit it and it won't let you unless you switch to custom text. I do completely agree that we should have the ability to add custom text to all associative dimensions, not just level dimensions. I'm just trying to clear up how they do work now.