BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

door & window numbers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can the door and window library parts have an option for showing door and window number in elevation, and not just floor plan ?

and without learning GDL.
8 REPLIES 8
TomWaltz
Participant
It already can. SImply use the Label tool instead of the door/window "dimension marker".
Tom Waltz
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Still, it's a reasonable request for it to be built into the library part.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the tip tom, we have tried this, it is cumbersome, it is another operation.

simpler to be part of the ID ref. that has already been set for the plan.
__archiben
Booster
cadaron wrote:
Thanks for the tip tom, we have tried this, it is cumbersome, it is another operation.

simpler to be part of the ID ref. that has already been set for the plan.
firstly, i agree with you that the limitation of basic objects in the library make for some frustrating times, but slow down and think about this:

do you want you this ID number to appear on ALL of your drawings?

do you want it on both working drawings and presentation drawings?

do you want it scale sensitive?

i think that it is all very well making the wish, but some kind of thought about the working method is needed first. making it a part of the door/window object means that too many permutations of it's display configurations need to be scripted in to work for everyone.

we can currently have elements set to auto label in plan. maybe the solution to this is the auto label method, where you can set the type of label, pens, layer, etc. independently to the door/window. but the wish would require this to also work in the section/elevation windows. this would enable it to be turned off when not required (presentation, planning drawings, etc.), yet still be a one-click operation.

whatdoyouthink?
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Aussie John
Newcomer
For all its cumbersome faults the label tool works ok in this regard. Setup a default label - select all doors or windows in the section and apply the label.

Of course this relies on a naming system that uses the ID number rather than archicads numbering system. I find this easier than using the default system. This also has the advantage of a relatively easy creation of an interactive schedule.

By making sure the label is on an approriate layer its visibility is easily controlled.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
archiben,

thanks and yes, normally you only want door window labels for construction, but if you are using the display option settings together with quickviews then there isnt problem to have them off in presentation and on for construction.

again we have tried the label tool, but without success, plus the elevation ID must match the plan ID, which is already set for the plan, why go through the process again with a label tool?
__archiben
Booster
cadaron wrote:
thanks and yes, normally you only want door window labels for construction, but if you are using the display option settings together with quickviews then there isnt problem to have them off in presentation and on for construction.
forgot about display options. doh!
again we have tried the label tool, but without success, plus the elevation ID must match the plan ID, which is already set for the plan, why go through the process again with a label tool?
i think what i was getting at was the label tool current has the option to autolabel elements as you place them on plan based on a variety of settings - ID included. i was suggesting that this be taken a step further to get it working in sec/elev windows too. but you're right: display options would do this with the objects own marker.

and i don't disagree with your original comments either: for practices that don't have the skills or the time for GDL, better and more detailed localisation of the our library is required.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the reply archiben, a simple pull down option within the object marker settings box, such as;
plan marker to show.........
elevation marker to show.........

all the settings are there now, cill height, centre line, size etc. which we set to be on or off, just asking for the same on elevation.

at present we use the text tool and write the numbers on individually, have not got on with the label tool.
Learn and get certified!