Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

file path for "save as"

Dave Brach
Advocate
I request that when I go to "File>Save As" that the default location is NOT the last location a file was saved, but rather the last location that the CURRENT file was saved. We are a small firm with small projects and do not use solo projects, not teamwork. I cannot tell you how many times over the past 10 years we have saved files in the "wrong" folder (folder for a different project). It has happened literally hundreds of times. I just spent 2 hours transferring changes from a file I worked on last week, but saved in the wrong place, to a file that one of my employees was updating today...
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
26 REPLIES 26
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you for the input!

I was able to reproduce the issue, this time with ticking "Launch a new instance of Archicad" when opening another file with Archicad. My observation is:
- First, open file 1
- In file 1's window, File > Open > navigate to file 2 > tick Launch a new instance of Archicad
- In file 2's window, if you go to File > Open or Save as, the location is at file 1
Looks like file 2 carried over the location of file 1 instead of using its correct folder.

On the other hand, I was unable to reproduce the issue with saving in one session, got carried over to other sessions:

Anyhow, now that I know how to reproduce it, I have entered the first one into our Wish List database (please refer to it as IDEA-1386)

Feel free to let me know your further opinions and experiences with this issue!
Thank you very much!
Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Dave Brach
Advocate

Just an update, this still happens to us regularly, causing problems.  It's simply impossible to remember to check the file path every time we save a file with a new date, especially for people of a certain age like me 😐.   I guess if it's at the OS level there is nothing Graphisoft can do, but I'm still trying to solve this.

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura

Hmm smoke & mirrors me thinks. AC can find and save files all day long at all sorts of places to suit its own ends, yet it can't prompt the Save dialog to open at a relevant location other than the last OS stored location? Same thing with Publisher, AC should be able to save relative to the current file location.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Where can we vote for this? It is not fixed in AC25. 

Archicad is the only software I know that wants to SaveAs a file into a location where LAST file was saved. More often than not, that one is the previous project, if you work on different projects same time. Should be currently open project folder, though. Try this function in Sketchup, for example. Or MS Word. It also concerns the instances, when I 
- SaveAs skp
- SaveAs jpg
 etc.
What is relevant is, where CURRENT file was saved to, not the LAST one.
---MSWindows, AC25

This post was originally created in the old Archicad-talk forum where we could create and vote on polls.

Unfortunately we can't do that in this new forum.

But what you can do is 'Like' the original post and that will count as a vote.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Eduardo Rolon

Another Pet Peeve is that AC locks to the last type of file you saved to. So if you did a "Save As…" Template all subsequent "Save as" files will save as TPA and this is stupid on soooo many ways.

But at least it is an old bug not an "improvement" in AC26.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

I agree as well on the save file type default-it should be .PLN.  I update our template a few times a month, and as soon as I overwrite the template, I save the file as a .PLN, because I know that will simplify the next "save as" --but of course it has taken me 10 years to develop this unnecessary habit.

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura

Worse issue is when you save-as to DWG (or PDF, Renderings) and then do another save-as for a new PLN version and forget to check.

After the second one every single CMD+S will rewrite your previous project version and/or when you close AC you will either lose all your work if you select "cancel" when AC ask for a save or you will permanently overwrite the previous version.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Dave Brach
Advocate

This CONTINUES to be a total pain for us.  I have an intern working remotely and she "lost" a file just this week (forgot to warn her).  Graphisoft PLEASE FIX!   Just now I was working in openoffice writer (open source office software) and when I did a "save as" it defaulted to the location where I opened the file.  This has to be super easy to fix.

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura

Is there a solution already? Also for the standard save as .PLN and not .DWG?