BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

gravity improvement

Aussie John
Newcomer
After apply an item via gravity to a slab/roof/terrain, shouldn't that item move with the object when the base element is raise or lowered.

Also why do we have to differentiate between the 3 type of elements.
Let archicad automatically select the element

and why while we are at it how about a ballon effect of attaching to the underside of an element.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
5 REPLIES 5
Dave Jochum
Advocate
I agree with all of these comments. I often forget about gravity, but I've never gotten in the habit of using it because it's static rather than dynamic.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
After apply an item via gravity to a slab/roof/terrain, shouldn't that item move with the object when the base element is raise or lowered.
This would be great, we would just need a simple way to disassociate the elements when as needed. My other concern is what happens to performance as we start adding more inter-element relationships to maintain. As I recall this was a serious problem with early versions of Revit and may still be an issue with the later versions.
Also why do we have to differentiate between the 3 type of elements.
Let archicad automatically select the element
I assume this is because they can be laying over one another in plan when using a model oriented layer combination. I for one like being able to be explicit about which type of element I want to drop something on.
and why while we are at it how about a ballon effect of attaching to the underside of an element.
This is an excellent idea! I'm surprised it never occurred to me. It would be a great way to install lights, fans, crown mouldings and all sorts of things.
Matthew wrote:
a great way to install lights, fans, crown mouldings and all sorts of things.
And level dimensions for ceilings.

If we had a reflected ceiling mode for the plan window, it would make sense for gravity to work upside-down when in that mode.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Aussie John
Newcomer
James wrote:
And level dimensions for ceilings.
It is possible now but need a library part that takes into consideration the thickness of the element of the ceiling.

Im thinking for ceilings I am going to start using labels then they will be associative.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Aussie wrote:
And an element placed with gravity on should stay 'on-face' when it is dragged across a mesh or roof surface. I thought about posting a fresh wish for it, then I found this one.

Generally, gravity should be a live condition, not just a way to set the initial insertion height.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Learn and get certified!