BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

icon madness

Aussie John
Newcomer
Now that I have just received v9 I can see what all the fuss (or lack of it) is about!!

First gripe is the proliferation of icons in menus. As a Mac user I want an option to turn them off. If I had wanted my computer to look like windows I would buy a PC. T o me it doesnt add any thing to the ease of use of the menus and is in fact find it more confusing.

The menu bar is annoying too but at least I can turn that off too.

The pallettes are nice how they dock and also the view sets but the Info pallette still is annoying when you want something that is hidden at the end of the pallette is timeconsuming to get to.

How about just a simple zoom ( max/min) button - how hard is that!
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check your work environment. Almost everything can be customized to your liking.
Karl Ottenstein
Aussie wrote:
but the Info pallette still is annoying when you want something that is hidden at the end of the pallette is timeconsuming to get to.
If you have a wheel mouse, then just mouse-over the info pallette and give the wheel a quick spin.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Aussie John
Newcomer
Karl wrote:

If you have a wheel mouse, then just mouse-over the info pallette and give the wheel a quick spin.

Karl
Yes I saw that in the manual but unfortunately I dont have a scroll wheel.
The toolbox is nicely arranged for scrolling with out a scroll wheel
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
John! Mate!

You've gotta get yourself a scroll wheel mouse! It'll pay for itself in the first day or two! I estimate a scroll mouse alone will give at least a 20% gain in modeling productivity. The pan feature alone will get you singing to the heavens!

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
You've gotta get yourself a scroll wheel mouse! It'll pay for itself in the first day or two! I estimate a scroll mouse alone will give at least a 20% gain in modeling productivity. The pan feature alone will get you singing to the heavens!
as a mac user and an advocate of the 'one-button-is-all-you-need' philosophy for a long time, i have to agree with link now. i saw the error of my ways the first time i used a scroll wheel mouse. i won't (can't!) use archiCAD without it now!

additionally you get the added benefits of scroll behaviour in all applications . . . in fact i'm siiting in an internet cafe in surry hills right now lamenting the fact my mouse can't scroll through these simple webpages.

go get one! it will make a difference.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
__archiben
Booster
Aussie wrote:
Now that I have just received v9 I can see what all the fuss (or lack of it) is about!!
use quick-select for a week or so . . . it's almost worth the upgrade in itself!
First gripe is the proliferation of icons in menus. As a Mac user I want an option to turn them off. If I had wanted my computer to look like windows I would buy a PC.
my first reaction too. whilst i would also like to turn them off, i have learnt to live with them. and i think that they do act as a visual aid sometimes once your brain has got used to them being there. they are definitely required in the toolbars.
The menu bar is annoying too but at least I can turn that off too.
the toolbars? yeah. i did too at first. but then did an about turn and tried it for a while. once i'd customised it to contain what i wanted and made it one big, proper toolbar instead of a multitude of little, annoyingly snapped togther palettes i go there first for most commands i would previously have gone rummaging around in the menus for. in fact, i've made some buttons contain drop-down's of some groups of features i want access to. look here for my powerbook WE and give it a whirl . . .

where are you based mate?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Balazs Simonyi
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Aussie wrote:
Hi John!
Let's wait for a week or two, how will you feel than
I'm sure, you will find much more easier to navigate and work with a wheel mouse. It's a must to have.
Icons in the menu is a visual aid to navigate. (it's easier to remember small pictures than texts) Make a wish about it, and let's see if so many people will find it frustrating.

Balazs
Learn and get certified!