BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

launch new instance form "Open Recent"

Anonymous
Not applicable
i wish > when opening a "Recent Document", i would like to see a choice to open a new instance of ArchiCAD from there.
16 REPLIES 16
TomWaltz
Participant
Funny, I was just having that same thought today.

Don't forget to vote for your own wish!
Tom Waltz
__archiben
Booster
totally! it was bugging me yesterday too!

my (mac-like) thoughts: we need an alternating menu item . . . i.e. hold down the ALT key and the 'Open Recent'... command changes to 'Open Recent in New Instance of Archicad'...

similarly the 'Open...' command needs the same: i find myself thinking that i'll need to open a file in another session before i enter the 'Open...' dialogue, but by the time i've clicked through the dialogue box to find the file i need i completely forget to click the '... new instance' button and have to start all over again.

so: holding down ALT would also change the 'Open...' command automatically to 'Open in New Instance of Archicad...'

~/archiben

(by the way mr moderator, whilst the "Open Archicad" forum sounds like the right place for this wish, you may want to move to where it actually belongs?! )
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Dwight
Newcomer
Me, too. WHAT AN OVERSIGHT!!!!!

I have shrieked many times trying to open a recent project when it wants to close to present project!
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't often use "Open Recent" (I'll vote for it anyway). I am use to going into finder and opening from there (I'd drag the file to one of the three AC9 icons in my dock.) I would like to amend the wish so that you have the choice to open a new instance anytime you attempt to open a .pln file when an instance of AC10 is already running regardless of how you attempt to open that .pln.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I'm with Steve. I prefer to open from the Finder. All we need is an additional choice in the Save/Don't Save dialog that has always come up when double clicking a pln when AC is already running. I submitted this wish during beta.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
46cruisair wrote:
i wish > when opening a "Recent Document", i would like to see a choice to open a new instance of ArchiCAD from there.
~/archiben wrote:
so: holding down ALT would also change the 'Open...' command automatically to 'Open in New Instance of Archicad...'
Geoff wrote:
... an additional choice in the Save/Don't Save dialog that has always come up when double clicking a pln when AC is already running.
Wow. Thorough. I guess I'd like to be able to launch another copy from the dock...
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Chazz
Enthusiast
Dwight wrote:
I have shrieked many times trying to open a recent project when it wants to close to present project!
To all of you OSXers out there, a mandatory utility in your toolbox is the expensive but oh-so-lovley Default Folder. It may not be a complete replacement for this wish but it goes a long way towards it and it is sooo nice for day to day work. I use it 25x per day at least.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Dwight
Newcomer
the expensive but oh-so-lovley Default Folder. It may not be a complete replacement for this wish but it goes a long way towards it and it is sooo nice for day to day work. I use it 25x per day at least.
I'm using this, too. It is a function that SHOULD be a part of the OS, but NO! It is infuriating to rely on this file/folder remembering tool and then arrive at a machine that doesn't have it. How quickly we get lost.

The other advantage to Default folder is when donig repetitive tasks with short operations and lots of saving. For instance, I was processing a bunch of 2D sections into 3D views for a catalog. Default Folder let me quickly dispatch the results to several different location alternatives in just one step. A valuable productivity enhancer.
Dwight Atkinson
Chazz
Enthusiast
Dwight wrote:
I'm using this, too. It is a function that SHOULD be a part of the OS, but NO!
Of course OSX does give us an Open Recent command under the Apple but this is nothing like having it in open/save dialogs. I never use it.

In working with Windows users I'm amazed how much time is taken up by navigating their directory hierarchy, trying to find recently used files. Surely there must be an XP equivalent to Default Folder. Anyone know of such a thing? (if you come up with one I promise to stop calling you Shirley....)
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Learn and get certified!