cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wishes forum

layer name display in infobox

schagemann
Contributor
i wonder if it would be nice to be able to resize the layer name window in the info box window, as it is currerntly somewhat inconvenient to not be able to read and identify layer names longer than 11 characters (surprisingly even some of the standard layer names that come with archicad are longer than that... ;0).

daniel.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 25 available soon...
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
15 REPLIES 15

Dwight
Newcomer
and material names, too.
Dwight Atkinson

__archiben
Newcomer
all lists everywhere should have a user customisable font size (and font?). easy enough to set in the prefs, but how it would dynamically affect the dialogue i don't know . . .

~/archiben

(and you are allowed to vote in your own wish poll schagemann! )
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup

Dwight
Newcomer
that was me who forgot.
Dwight Atkinson

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Count me in on this too

Pretty much goes for most of AC windows really (stories, hotlink manager etc).
Technical Product Manager, Graphisoft

Karl Ottenstein
Now that I have a Mac, too, I understand what you guys are talking about ... you see fewer characters than show on Windows. So, I agree. 😉

I see 10 characters followed by "..." on the Mac, and 14 characters followed by "..." on Windows.

I get only the 1st 7 characters of a material name on each platform.

A tough thing with wishes like this is that people with Windows may vote differently since the issue isn't as bad there for layer names.

Karl
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 26 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.8, iMac Pro

Dwight
Newcomer
some of these things aren't a problem until you really get to working with the application. I was never bothered by the short name space until I had sub-categorized my materials with a prefix. OOOps. Always had to open the big dialog....... but maybe not in future.
Dwight Atkinson

Aussie John
Newcomer
If resizing is too difficult showing the first and last parts of the name (subtractng the middle bit) would be better than it is now. If you are not sure what I mean look in the Finder (mac) at a long name in a narrow space
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another alternative would be a 'popup' window which gives the (full) version of the name when you 'mouse over'.

Example (from the Opera browser) below.

- Stuart

Balazs Simonyi
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Problem added to wishlist.
We find some solution, but every idea are welcome

Balazs

Anonymous
Not applicable
And, PLEASE, Graphisoft Development Team, we want RESIZEABLE fonts in dialogs and anywhere else!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems that no matter what palette layout I choose, the layer names are truncated after approx. 12 characters. This is no big deal normally but our office shares files with special planners (structural engineers, surveyor, HVAC engineers, electrical planners, etc.) and we have developed a strict layer naming scheme that starts out with a four letter code for each planner, followed by a two character story-identifier. That means that the identifier for the actual material is shifted so far to the right that it usually is not displayed in the menu or so little that one has to click it, open the menu, to see if the correct layer is chosen. Needless to state that this is time-consuming and annoying.

Is there a "hack" to make this popup bigger?

Thanks,

Florian

Karl Ottenstein
There is already a topic for this wish. Please just go to:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=4891

and vote there.

Karl
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 26 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.8, iMac Pro

F_ Beister
Enthusiast
I would prefer the 'tooltips' version.

Adjustable fonts are a great effort for writing GDL-user interfaces. It's not easy going programming for mac, win and finally the few font sizes you can choose from in GDL now.

Larger windows will lead in in the necessarity of a third display. 😉

Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Adjustable fonts are a great effort for writing GDL-user interfaces. It's not easy going programming for mac, win and finally the few font sizes you can choose from in GDL now.
fully agree, that would be virtually impossible to programme the user interface. That would look like a dog's breakfast after changing the font each time.
::rk

Link
Expert
Another alternative would be a 'popup' window which gives the (full) version of the name when you 'mouse over'.
Stuart - this should already be the case if you have tooltips turned on.

I don't necessarily agree with font size, but I think it is very important to have any attribute name be completely visible at all times. Maybe it could automatically adjust per name?

Gets my vote.

Link.

Start a new conversation!

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!