Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

my network places

jp
Contributor
"my network places" should appear on the list in "library manager" when you click on the "local/lan" tab. This is a windows standard that should be adhered to. We need shortcuts to get to the many different locations on the network where we store different projects and settings. This is a uniform way that is integrated throughout almost all windows programs. It's just missing from "library manager"
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Dalgliesh Gilpin Paxton Architects
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
Please note that Favorites does show up there, and is much more useful in general since it will jump to the exact folder needed, not simply a local drive or a network share. Just use Add to Favorites in Windows Explorer to populate your Favorites with current project folders, library folders, etc.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
jp
Contributor
And all of your website favorites are there too. That's a lot of bagage to cary around and Favorites dont' appear everywhere throughout windos. A network place will go to a specific folder or subfolder not just a network drive. It appears universally throughout windows, except for library manger.
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac
Karl Ottenstein
jp wrote:
And all of your website favorites are there too. That's a lot of bagage to cary around and Favorites dont' appear everywhere throughout windos. A network place will go to a specific folder or subfolder not just a network drive. It appears universally throughout windows, except for library manger.
Actually, it is just an issue of organization like with your other files. If your bookmarks are in a folder inside Favorites, then they do not clutter your Favorites.

With Microsoft's free 'Tweak UI' so-called Power Toy download, you can have Favorites appear in every open and save dialog in Windows, making this very efficient. You can customize quite a bit of your Windows interface to improve productivity. Screenshot attached. Free download here (along with some other useful utilities):
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

To get Favorites conveniently in Library Manager, just place a shortcut to Favorites on your desktop.

Favorites are actually just links to actual folders or files. Be thankful that on Windows, ArchiCAD follows links in Library Manager. It does not on Mac.

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
jp
Contributor
Thanks, but we shouldn't have to tweak windows. Archicad should comply to a standard. I won't even get started about the the layout of the Save and Don't Save buttons. They are backwards from everything else in windows. I imagine that was the intent, but years ago when I got started I lost some work.
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac
Karl Ottenstein
jp wrote:
Thanks, but we shouldn't have to tweak windows. Archicad should comply to a standard. I won't even get started about the the layout of the Save and Don't Save buttons. They are backwards from everything else in windows. I imagine that was the intent, but years ago when I got started I lost some work.
I understand, and do not (and did not) mean to diminish your wish by side-tracking. What I was attempting to do is to give you a workaround, since it could be quite some time before your wish is granted, and at least via Favorites, you can get nearly the functionality that you want.

Actually, the easiest way to get what you want, I believe, is to just drag a shortcut to Network Places out of Windows Explorer and onto your desktop. It will then show up in Library Manager in italics under desktop and should provide the access that you want.

Cheers,
Karl

P.S. The backwards yes/no, save/cancel etc drove me crazy when I first encountered it as well - also losing work. I could not figure out why GS would make the buttons backwards from the Windows standard until I learned that the Mac did it that way. I have mixed feelings in that it does make it easy to switch back and forth between a Mac and Windows client because they both look the same - but like you, I believe that standards should be followed. Abvent give a good example of this in Artlantis, which was written to Windows standards for Windows and to Mac standards for Mac.
jp
Contributor
Thanks! that sounds like a really easy and reasonable workaround.
Many Thanks, JP

John Peterson, AIA
Archicad 7-21 US
PC and iMac