BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

"CALL" option to insert macros that could be scheduled.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've never been a big fan of macros, but with the appearance of the lcf file format, I think its getting way more easy to handle macros...

Anyway... At this moment I'm scripting some complex GDL objects that CALL other macro custom components... For modeling purposes it is perfect... The only problem I see is that they are not take in account when you do some listing/scheduling.

For example: I'd like to CALL a custom handle object from my door script and when I did some listing/scheduling it would appear as a regular object on the project... but it would be "linked" to the cabinet object. I know it can be done with groups, but with this CALL option I could change all Doors/Windows/objects at once.

With this option, market oriented new objects could be easily handled by regular doors/windows/objects... We would just need to type in the i.e. "inside_handle" parameter the name of your favorite manufacturer handle object on your library.

edit: Typo
7 REPLIES 7
Erika Epstein
Booster
Yes. And I would also like to be able to have the option to call custom [handles/panels etc] for standard AC objects. An example along Paulo's example is a custom handle on an AC cabinet.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erich
Contributor
The ability to schedule called components of objects would be huge. Elsewhere on the forum there is a discussion about how to handle scheduling plumbing fixtures that are a part of a cabinet object - can't be done currently - this could solve it.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is all just nibbling around what we really need, which is proper assemblies. I have posted this many times here and in beta forums so I won't go on at length.

There are lots of things that behave as a unit but consist of numerous discrete components. Doors (and windows of course) are an obvious example. The doors in a project may consist of various arrangements of common components. A selection of door leafs (with various fire ratings) are placed in a variety of jamb types and sizes with an assortment of hardware sets, and sometimes casings that may vary from room to room.

What I envision is a single instance of a wall opening with multiple macros/parts associated such that each can be mixed, matched and independently adjusted (within reason) and scheduled as assembled units or as component parts.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
There are lots of things that behave as a unit but consist of numerous discrete components.
So true Matthew. Sounds like those ancient oriental proverbs. I'll frame it and stick it on my office wall.
Matthew wrote:
What I envision is a single instance of a wall opening with multiple macros/parts associated such that each can be mixed, matched and independently adjusted (within reason) and scheduled as assembled units or as component parts.
I guess it could be achieved with a dynamic array of called objects with x,y,z,rotx,roty,rotz individual parameters (all currently feasible)... The "only" (sorry Zsolt ) thing left would be make those called objects available for listing/scheduling. Not perfect, but could be a start toward the "Assemblies Nirvana".

Hello,

I came across this thread when I thought how good it would be to be able to place a table object that would automatically also place separated chair objects.

I believe this is what is proposed here and I find it a very needed function in gdl.

It should be a PLACE command or similar, that would place a separate object, passing position, scaling and other configuration parameters at the moment it was place. It should also have parameters for grouping (on/off).

This way we could place a table with 6 chairs, and after placement, edit, move, delete, and schedule each of this objects separately. What a powerful command it would be.

furtonb
Advisor

I've came across this thread, when I wanted to do the following:

1. I created a custom subtype for light fixtures, to add or remove parameters globally to those elements that are using the subtype. At this level I'm giving "not defined" default values for each. (e.g. for the short description, VSG, light colour temperature, etc.)

2. I'm setting the actual parameter values in the actual objects in the parameter script, which works fine.

3. I wanted to list these values in a schedule, and although I'm using the "same" parameters from the subtype in many objects, I need to select the parameters from each actual object to display it's values properly, which is baffling - this means I cannot display more than one type in a schedule...

Is there some plans to improve this? If not, are there plans to introduce "type parameters" to the Archicad property manager? Right now the separation of GDL properties and the property manager is infuriating, and confusing a lot of new users...

odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64

@furtonb wrote:

3. I wanted to list these values in a schedule, and although I'm using the "same" parameters from the subtype in many objects, I need to select the parameters from each actual object to display it's values properly, which is baffling - this means I cannot display more than one type in a schedule...

I am not quite sure I am following the problem here.

I have some windows for which I have created a 'sub-type' to automatically add the required parameters to them.

All windows that have this sub-type, have these parameters.

If I schedule these windows (all different objects) and I add 'Library part parameter' to my schedule, I only have to find that parameter from one of the window objects.

All other windows that have that parameter (i.e. using the same sub-type), will also schedule that parameter.

I don't have to find that parameter in each window to add it to my field list.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!