BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

"Search" within Project Map and View Map

TomWaltz
Participant
I would like to be able to search for names of Sections, Details, Plans, etc. in both Project Map and View Map (may as well go for Layouts and Publisher Sets too!)
Tom Waltz
10 REPLIES 10
I've had that one rattling around in my head for a while. We would need it less if the details would sort simply alphabetically, rather than by marker/no marker. Either way, I would love one of those OS X real time search fields.

Next: Smart folders.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
I've had that one rattling around in my head for a while. We would need it less if the details would sort simply alphabetically, rather than by marker/no marker. Either way, I would love one of those OS X real time search fields.

We can't have that. The Windows users would be too jealous.
TomWaltz
Participant
James wrote:

I'm not sure alphabetical sorting would be a complete solution (though I would LOVE to see it).

You would still need to have "contains" searches, like if you know you had the string "porch" in the name somewhere but maybe not the first word.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Abosultely essential.

Have you ever tried to find a drawing when the View Name is different than the Project Map name & different than the Drawing Name? In AC 10 this is especially difficult.

We need to be able to search through the entire project for anything. When we get this there will be a "sign of relief heard round the world".
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Essential for large projects. Not just searching but sorting by name or number too.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
matjashka
Enthusiast
Absolutely essential, and furthermore the search results MUST be displayed live, in the same map view window, Apple Spotlight--style. I use this feature every day to search through tons of my emails.

The results should optionally be displayed with respect to the tree structure, with irrelevant folders and views/drawings being removed from the view. The programmers should be careful about making their lives easier by only allowing for full strings or beginning of strings. If I type "room", the search should also locate the word "classroom".

BUT this would immediately rise the questions of "smart folders", in which a smart folder called "Classrooms" would show all possible plans, elevations, details etc. whenever name contains "classr*" (please note the regular expression at the end of the search string).

C'mon - everybody has it and uses it these days.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
bump.
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Chazz
Enthusiast
Even the ability to color-code the items in the tree would be a huge help but a live search field (like in Spotlight, not the lame one in the library parts search dialog) would be super helpful. It doesn't take a very big project before you are swimming in views, drawings, schedules, etc.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
owen
Newcomer
bump

I hope Graphisoft realize how much of a killer productivity feature this would be if it included Smart Folders in the view map.

All the groundwork is there .. existing Find & Select of views based on strings in their ID or Name just needs to be combined with Clone Folder functions adn you have a Smart Folder. I would have thought this is a pretty easy feature to add?

It would open up a world of possibilities for automated organizing of the View Map
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Learn and get certified!