BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

roof edge/slab edge

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I would love to be able to add detail to a roof edge-fascia, drip edge, etc. Also to thicken the edge of a slab (monolithic). Anyone else?

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have found that you can do this with the tools already in archicad as long as the roof edge is horizontal. What i do is to end the main roof at the exterior edge of the ext. wall and then add a perimeter roof of the same slope but thinner and then under that model soffitts/facias as required with the slab tool. I work betwen the section and plan window and you can very easily get everthing dead on. The issue becomes the sloped rake side of a roof with non retangular shapes than the roof tool cannot create. Then things get complicated and slow down.

donald mac donald
Dave Jochum
Advocate
I think one of AC's biggest shortcomings becomes apparent when one tries to accurately model roof edge conditions (eaves, rakes, etc.) of any significant detail. For a program "by architects, for architects" the existing tools are woefully wanting. While I agree with those asking GS to place the highest priority on cleaning the bugs from existing tools, I would put this at or very near the top of my list for new features wishes.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I have done as Donald suggests on some jobs (with vert. fascias). Even bought a cornice maker from Objects-on-line. Still a very tedious and time consuming process.

Steve
Laci Neda
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Added to wishlist:
-Associative profiles to the edges of any construction elements
László Néda
Architect
Business Development Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE
Djordje
Ace
Stephen wrote:
I have done as Donald suggests on some jobs (with vert. fascias). Even bought a cornice maker from Objects-on-line. Still a very tedious and time consuming process.
Did you try GDL Toolbox for non-horizontal elements? It can work just like Profiler, BUT the points of the path can be anywhere in the space.

Quite a helpful tool!

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
Laci wrote:
Added to the wish (in the wishlist) of:
-Associative profiles to the edges of any construction elements
Oooo. That would be soooo nice.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Thanks Laci,
It's nice to know you're listening.

Steve
Anonymous
Not applicable
(Is this thread too old? Should I list this wish again?)

I can not emphasize enough you how important this feature is. I certainly have appreciated all the improvements with each Archicad release, but I have waited for update after update for more control over roofs, only to find with each new release that this need has not been addressed

You can see here what the latest version of the less-expensive Vectorworks offers in this regard:

http://download2.nemetschek.net/www_movies/vw12/Roofs.htm

Please make the roof tool to work like you would actually build the roof with rafters or trusses - with the ability to change the rafter height at the eaves and to specify soffit and fascia details.

Thanks
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Still top on my wish-list! Maybe in 10.1?
Learn and get certified!