Wishes forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roof edge/slab edge

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I would love to be able to add detail to a roof edge-fascia, drip edge, etc. Also to thicken the edge of a slab (monolithic). Anyone else?

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
17 REPLIES 17

I have found that you can do this with the tools already in archicad as long as the roof edge is horizontal. What i do is to end the main roof at the exterior edge of the ext. wall and then add a perimeter roof of the same slope but thinner and then under that model soffitts/facias as required with the slab tool. I work betwen the section and plan window and you can very easily get everthing dead on. The issue becomes the sloped rake side of a roof with non retangular shapes than the roof tool cannot create. Then things get complicated and slow down.

donald mac donald

Dave Jochum
Booster
I think one of AC's biggest shortcomings becomes apparent when one tries to accurately model roof edge conditions (eaves, rakes, etc.) of any significant detail. For a program "by architects, for architects" the existing tools are woefully wanting. While I agree with those asking GS to place the highest priority on cleaning the bugs from existing tools, I would put this at or very near the top of my list for new features wishes.
Dave Jochum

J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com

MBP 15" (2017)+27" 4K•16GB•OS 11.6•AC 24,25 (latest build)

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I have done as Donald suggests on some jobs (with vert. fascias). Even bought a cornice maker from Objects-on-line. Still a very tedious and time consuming process.

Steve

Laci Neda
Newcomer
Added to wishlist:
-Associative profiles to the edges of any construction elements
László Néda
Architect
Business Development Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE

Djordje
Advocate
Stephen wrote:
I have done as Donald suggests on some jobs (with vert. fascias). Even bought a cornice maker from Objects-on-line. Still a very tedious and time consuming process.
Did you try GDL Toolbox for non-horizontal elements? It can work just like Profiler, BUT the points of the path can be anywhere in the space.

Quite a helpful tool!

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995

Karl Ottenstein
Laci wrote:
Added to the wish (in the wishlist) of:
-Associative profiles to the edges of any construction elements
Oooo. That would be soooo nice.

Karl
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.1, iMac Pro

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Thanks Laci,
It's nice to know you're listening.

Steve

Stephen
Newcomer
(Is this thread too old? Should I list this wish again?)

I can not emphasize enough you how important this feature is. I certainly have appreciated all the improvements with each Archicad release, but I have waited for update after update for more control over roofs, only to find with each new release that this need has not been addressed

You can see here what the latest version of the less-expensive Vectorworks offers in this regard:

http://download2.nemetschek.net/www_movies/vw12/Roofs.htm

Please make the roof tool to work like you would actually build the roof with rafters or trusses - with the ability to change the rafter height at the eaves and to specify soffit and fascia details.

Thanks

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Still top on my wish-list! Maybe in 10.1?

Rakela Raul
Participant
that vector works looks very good btw
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16

s2art
Newcomer
Not saying that it shouldn't be part of standard AC, but the CadImage Accessory Pack does this pretty well. Fascias, spouting, valleys, hips, downpipes, roof surface, soffits, etc., not to mention wall profiles and claddings(may be redundant in 10?), slab extras (footings etc).
S t u a r t . R o s e
PAUA Architects
AC22 6025 NZE
iMac Retina 27inch
3GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Jason Roesler
Newcomer
I am going to bump this up again. it has been 12 years and nothing. it would be nice to be able to assign rim conditions to a framed floor in addition to the eave conditions of a roof.
Jason Roesler, AT

Lingwisyer
Virtuoso
It is not associative, but you can do continuous slab edges and footings pretty easily with Complex Profiles now. If you want it to be associative, you can use the Railing Tool in AC21 / 22, though that is a little bit more complex. The railing tool in regards to roof fascias was discussed over here.

Ling.
AC18-23 AUS 7000
Self-taught, bend it till it breaks.
Win10 | E5620 x 2 | 24GB | K2200

Jason Roesler
Newcomer
Yeah, I have done a complex profile wall rim condition in the past. I merely think it would be nice to be able to click on the edge like you can a roof and associate a type to it and a profile.
Jason Roesler, AT

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Still on my wish list. Hope it happens before I retire.

Jason Roesler
Newcomer
Stephen, I started messing around with the new railing tool as suggested by Lingwisyer with almost satisfactory results. The big plus is that it is associative.

A few of the negatives are that you can't define rail profiles by segment (at least I haven't found a way to do so), so the corners don't connect if you have intersecting profiles that are different. The fills don't appear to behave the same way as they do in a wall that is a complex profile, in the project, I am working on they are coming in on at a different scale, and the profile is merging like items that are touching, whereas in a wall they no longer merge together.

At the end of the day, I can get the visual results I am looking for, for the most part anyway, and the information I need for material takeoffs is available. I just think that there could be improvements.

Jason Roesler, AT

Lingwisyer
Virtuoso
Jason wrote:
you can't define rail profiles by segment

In edit mode, you can select the rail, or any other element, within each segment and change the profile. The downside here is that once you have modified as segment in this way, it will no longer respond to general changes made to the overall railing.

Ling.
AC18-23 AUS 7000
Self-taught, bend it till it breaks.
Win10 | E5620 x 2 | 24GB | K2200

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!