Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

schedules not show values for unused options e.g. transom ht

Erika Epstein
Booster
A long-standing problem with schedules is that they show unalterable default values for unused parameters. Common examples are in door and window schedules when some doors have transoms and/or sidelights. If your schedule includes their height and/or width parameters, IS shows a the incorrect default value of 1'-2" for instances where there are no transoms or sidelights.

This makes these parameters for listing unusable.

Instead they should at least be "0".
Better yet would be the option to input a custom value to match office standards such as "N.A." or "--".
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
I think this is more a GDL issue.
I would be guessing your door has a transom height parameter as well as a transom on/off parameter.
So if the transom is "off" then technically it still has a height and it is this height parameter that your door schedule has been told to display.

The door object script needs to be amended so that when the transom is "off" the transom height is adjusted to zero.
But this is not usually done as every time you turn the transom on you would also have to set the height.
Leaving the default height as it is and just turning it on or off is more convenient for modelling but not so for schedules.

With a bit of clever scripting and storing a secondary default (or original) height then this height can be reset when the transom is turned on.

Alternatively the schedules need to have some sort of scripting (formulas) allowed so that we cans say if transome is off then transom heightis N/A.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erika Epstein
Booster
Barry,
You are missing the point. Some doors don't have a transom and/or sidelight component yet if you have a schedule that includes the parameter for a transom height, the program fills in a value which is incorrect.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

And that's because it's GDL issue, the parameter should be set to "0" or "" if NA.

If the object does not have the parameter the schedules show "--"

Anyway - some kind of tweak of IS is welcome - some way of not showing unwanted cells or values...but it must be user customizable - like: Do not show values if they are: "0", "off" - and user must be able to add such unwanted values to be omitted...huge work for programmers I think - and easy to make new bugs 😉

Best Regards,
Piotr
Barry Kelly
Erika wrote:
Barry,
You are missing the point. Some doors don't have a transom and/or sidelight component yet if you have a schedule that includes the parameter for a transom height, the program fills in a value which is incorrect.
If doors don't have a transom option at all then the field should be empty.
If not then there is something definitely wrong.

But if it is just that the transom has been turned off in the door settings then it will show a value as you have stated.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Erika:

The problem is that these doors that do not have transoms still have the parameters for transoms, but are hidden since they are not used (the default value for transom height for door D1 Metal 15 is 1'-2"). One solution to get the default value of zero is to open the library part, change the default transom height value to zero, then save. It would be better if GS made the default value for unused parameters zero. I think you could also open the library part and delete the parameter, then you should get the "--" value for the transom height, which would be clearer in the schedule for items that do not have transoms. I know this is a workaround until GS provides a better solution.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erika Epstein
Booster
David,
Absolutely. Each archicad user having to save custom versions of each type of door or window or other element where this kind of problem occurs is unrealistic.

We need the library parts and scheduling to work without all the shenanigans.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System