Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

staircase as structural analatical object

MAHGOUB ELAMIN
Participant

8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly

@MAHGOUB ELAMIN ,

Do you have more of a description about what you actually want with this wish?

Or shall I just remove this post?

Sure a stair is part of the structure, but I am not sure it is a structural element like a wall or column that transfers loads from one floor to another if that is what you mean by structural analytical object.

But am not a structural engineer, so maybe I don't know much about it.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Balint Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi @MAHGOUB ELAMIN  

As Barry mentioned it would be really interesting to understand your reasons for wanting structural analytical model for the stair elements. Could you explain what problem would you like to solve with it?

Thanks,
Bálint

Balint Kezer
Senior Product Manager
Graphisoft
MAHGOUB ELAMIN
Participant

when I export staircases from ArchiCAD to structural analysis software not appear or are not red by it what is the best way for staircase members to type in ArchiCAD as you know members are red in structural analytical software columns -beams- slabs- no staircase member can you solve

MAHGOUB ELAMIN
Participant

I am an architect and bim user and an analytical for buildings I hope to add structural design to my professional practice in the future

Structural Analysis (as I understand it) is all about passing structural loads through an element.

Stairs generally would not be a structural load bearing element, so would not need to be included in structural analysis?

Sure they need to be engineered, but they are not like walls, columns or beams.

They don't actually hold anything up and don't transfer loads from one element to another.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

when i export staircases as structurual analatical members from archicad to structural analytical software what it should be beam -column- slab only this members appear in structural analysis software what better choice as you know programmes like etabs csi and axis VM stairs not included as structural members if there other software read structural stair told me

We are all architects so the structural design concept needs to be understood.

Staircase is being designed as inclined slabs supporting on beams or directly on another slab,

The structural elements which you can define as analytical members in Archicad are :

Slabs, Beams, Columns, Walls & Single-Plane Roof.

For more knowledge about this topic I recommend to you this free course a gift from Graphisoft Learn Portal named :

(Structural Engineers - Getting Started with BIM).

Here's the link :

https://learn.graphisoft.com/learner_course/show/41496

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

I am still not understanding what you are trying to achieve.

Structural analysis is all about the passing loads from one element to another.

Stairs do not pass structural loads from one floor to another so would not need to be included in the structural analysis.

Yes, they will need to be engineered structurally, but they would not form part of the structural load bearing component of a building.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27