Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

wall intersections

Mauhaus
Contributor
This is an earlier discussed topic, but I would still like to emphasize it.

I am using composites and custom profiles to add info to my drawings. Even though I am very specific on assigning priorities, using the same fills, layers etc I still have challenges solving some of the wall intersections.
If I am really busy I sometimes just fix it using fills, but when dxf or dwg outputting it becomes a mess.

I wish there would be an intuitive and direct way of solving the these intersections. Maybe the different skins could be adjusted like fills. Then I could fix this in no time, when they don't behave like expected.

(the shown walls have different heights...)
Thomas Mau

AC25 INT Denmark

www.mauhaus.dk

iMac Retina 5K 27" 2017 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 - 40 Gb 2400 MHz DDR4 ram - OSX 10.12.6 - Radeon Pro 580 8192 mb

The world has enough for everyone's need, but not for everyone's greed - Mahatma Gandhi
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a similar situation in my current project. Adjustable skins would be VERY useful.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that there should be easier control of how the various skins join at corners. Any extra work like 2d patches or 3d solutions like a custom profiled column overlaid on to the junction will be obvious if the drawing is ever exported to dwg format.

While I appreciate you may have posted your image just as an example, but this can be solved by placing the wall reference lines as shown in the image below, and should clean up automatically.

Although it doesn't work for every situation, I find that generally positioning the reference line on the external face of the load-bearing skin helps avoid the awkward wall-joining-on-corner situation that doesn't clean up.

Hope that helps.
wall_ref_line_join1.jpg
gpowless
Advocate
I also find that naming the walls as they are being customized and using the names to refer to similar walls helps solve that issue. I used to customize individual walls and then just transfer the properties to other walls but when an adjustment was require it was easy just to edit the named profile.

Another common cause of walls not joining properly that I discovered in my own work was that walls on other stories were over-lapping or walls were not the at the same level.

While there certainly would be a use for being able to adjust individual skins, in my view it comes down to better management. In BIM speed should not take precedence over proper layer and information management.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
For me this is a huge issue, and one that I've sought advice on before. Rather than use the 'patch' tool, I've created modules, which have the virtue of being 'layer responsive', and can be updated globally as required. But the shear effort of doing this in order to resolve junctions which are clearly not right makes me question whether this is an efficient way to create working drawings - which have to be 'right'. Contractors would laugh at cavities which are bridged, or discontinuous when they shouldn't be, because that's the way the computer drew them.

Like Mauhaus, I've been very careful about wall priorities, but there are simply some junctions - particularly where 3 different wall types meet at a 'T' - where there seems to be no alternative to creating a patch. The attached shows an example where, because of the way the outer skin of brick masters the returned cladding, it would never be possible to achieve the detail 'automatically'. Notice that I've lost the skin separation in one of the composites, even though the make-up of these 2 skins is identical in each of the wall types (one was made from the other) and I'll also have to go back at some point and correct the fills at the internal angle.

If there were a better way to do this, I could find a hundred more productive ways to spend my time.