cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wishes forum

wish > trim roof to wall recognise voids along pivot line

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish that the Trim Wall to Roof would recognise voids or 'notches' roof plane, at least along the pivot line.

I had to do a roof with three shed dormers along the line of the roof where the exterior wall at the dormers was normal 8' plate height but the rest of the wall was at 5'-6" plate height. I finally did find the solution to accomplish this was to break both the wall and the roof into pieces that worked with the Trim to Roof tool. the accompanying window clip shows the solution (on the right, with 4 roof planes and 7 exterior wall sections); and the example that when you trim to roof with one wall and one roof plane with notches in the roof plane > the tool trims the single wall completely along its length.

It would be nice if the trim tool would recognise a notch in the roof plane - say, if the notch edge were behind or up slope from the pivot line, the trimming would leave the wall intact at the notch and allow that portion to be trimmed at the higher dormer roof.

It's a wish.
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could you use SEO with upwards extrusion instead of trim-to-roof perhaps? It should do what your trying to do with only a single wall and roof, athough you will get an extra line where the dormer cheeks hit the main wall.

Hope that helps?

Karl Ottenstein
Peter wrote:
Could you use SEO with upwards extrusion instead of trim-to-roof perhaps? It should do what your trying to do with only a single wall and roof, athough you will get an extra line where the dormer cheeks hit the main wall.
Exactly right, Peter. Further, if the main roof and all of the dormer roofs are selected as the operator, then everything will be trimmed as desired with the SEO - and remain live through further editing.

I almost never use 'trim to roof' except in certain special circumstances.

Karl
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 26 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.2, iMac Pro 10-Core, Radeon Pro Vega 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
>> athough you will get an extra line where the dormer cheeks hit the main wall.
Thanks > I'll look into using SEO as you suggest, though as you point out, the problem is that the exterior walls' (face wall and cheeks) siding won't wrap around the corner of the dormer (or, will they?). My multiple walls and roof solution did do that.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree, it is still a little messy with the extra lines and not the ideal solution.

Maybe you could model the main wall to eaves level, (SEOed to neaten it up) and leave the windows sticking out above. You could then model the front and sides dormer walls separately, with an empty opening inserted in the same position as the window.

This would enable both the window to appear on plan correctly (in the main wall) and also allow separate control of how the materials to the dormer join. Again, not perfect but slightly better.

However you decide to do it, at least one roof is all that is needed!

Start a new conversation!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!