cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

A simple way to reduce the number of nodes in a poly line

Markitecture
Contributor

Creating a mesh from the surveyor’s file does not always give the desired results since often the xyz points are few and far between, resulting in a rather rough terrain with large triangles. This means we need to create the mesh "old school", contour line by contour line.  Those lines often have way too many nodes, creating an overly complex mesh.  

The usual process is to first use Magic Wand to create a spline from the overly complex poly line, then set the Magic Wand settings for conversion back to a poly line with fewer nodes.  This has to be done individually on every contour line of the terrain.  

User request:  It would be great if you offered a simple tool that just did that node reduction in one step, especially if it would do so on all selected poly lines in one step.  That way, we could simplify an imported surveyor file of contour lines in one simple step before creating a mesh. It would also be great if doing so would not add nodes along lengths already exceeding the magic wand settings, only reduce clusters of nodes that are closer than that setting.  

image003.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
F Barradas
Contributor

Just as a reference for developers, SketchUp has a very straightforward plugin called Simplify Contours that does exactly that.

Thank you.  Good workaround for those who also use SketchUp.  Personally, I line to keep my work in Archicad and appreciate when the developers adopt new capabilities.  

Best regards,

Mark

Hi Mark, I totally agree to keep the workflow within Archicad! My post was to support your idea showing to Graphisoft's developers an example of how this tool could be simple. I hope they add this feature soon!