cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

ArchiCAD Light Version

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think ArchiCAD, should have a light version with some limitations,
with the exception of team work for example.

so this will cover the individual architects on budget, while the full version will still be the best for company size projects.

I am open to comments
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
they have this in some countries, its basically version 8.1

I think its called Archicad start edition or something like that .
Not sure if its availiable in the US as they are already paying the least for Archicad software, AC cost more in Europe and the like.
TomWaltz
Participant
Archicad Start Edition is essentially Archicad 8.1 at a reduced price:
http://www.digitalvis.com/archicad_start.php
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
This thread is a complaint that Archicad costs to much.
And many people think this way.

So, Graphisoft replied with a re-issue of an old version of the application.

What a stupendous waste of time for any designer to work with this obsolete technology!

Archicad 10 delivers exactly what architects need for the bulk of their building project descriptions. I simply don't understand that, with the enormous difference in features between Archicad Lite and Archicad Heavy that any firm that had real billable hours couldn't make money from the new features way more than enough to justify the license cost.
Dwight Atkinson
TomWaltz
Participant
I always wondered what could be "stripped out" to make an "Archicad Light" for use in smaller offices.

Teamwork is one feature... what else? What else could a smaller (3 to 5 person, regardless of specialty) company survive without? Lightworks? GDL Editing/Scripting? How much money could it really save to strip those out?

It's not like in AutoCAD where you can strip out the 3d 😉
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with that, I can only give up the team work, but the rest is essential.

old version for a cheaper price doesn't work for me. it is old technology now.

i guess, still graphisoft needs to come up with something
Dwight
Newcomer
If you are interested in Archicad methods and can't afford the full version, the real solution is take a second job.

Night guard is my suggestion so there will be time to study the manual.
Dwight Atkinson
TomWaltz
Participant
I guess the question then is why should GS come up with a light version? What other product in the same class does so? You do not see Revit Light or Microstation Light.

In fact, some internal memos at Autodesk released a few years back expressed how much they regretted releasing AutoCad LT because a huge portion of their user base bought it instead of upgrading full licenses.

Most professional-level software is expensive. It's part of the cost of doing business. If someone needs full-featured video editing, graphics, database, or other software, it's never cheap. Most of that functionality is not tied to the size of the company. It's tied to the features a professional needs to perform professional tasks. It's not about a guy at Home Depot laying out a cabinet set. It's about a licensed professional who is charging his clientèle accordingly.

All that said, I completely agree that Archicad Start edition is kind of pointless. I'd also like to see a little more "bang for the buck" on that subscription fee.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice Dwight, but no thanks!
I love my profession and have passion about it.

This whole thing is because of this,
I am a recent graduate, can't afford to buy my own copy yet! I am working with ArchiCAD in my office, but i would like to have my own one, for my personal computer, my personal studies.

Since I graduated, I don't qualify for a student version too, which was the issue when i was a student.
but now the software is upgraded to version 10.
There is no way for me to buy to use version 10.

I am sure you have all been there.

Thanks for opinions though.
TomWaltz
Participant
You might want to keep an eye on eBay. Once in a while someone is selling an old license there. There's a $400 transfer fee, but if the price is low enough it can be worth it.
Tom Waltz