Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Custom shaped walls with an edit mode and cut lines

4hotshoes
Advisor

I just found out that Revit can do this. Once a wall is placed, a user can go into an edit mode and draw on the surface of a wall with splines, circles, polygons and free-hand sketches, that act as cut lines. For example, you could draw a circle on the surface and then pick which part to delete. The wall will remain as a wall. Those cut lines become part of the wall and will move with the wall if the wall is moved as AC windows and doors do. I know SEOs can cut walls but SEOs don't move with walls and they require more work to position in place other objects used to cut (sometimes multiple) Those objects must remain in place in the model to maintain the cuts in a wall. And they require a layer if not to be seen. That being said, I love SEO's and will continue to use them. But an edit mode for walls where even skins can be modified would be my wish. The railing tool has an edit mode. So the wall tool could as well.

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
5 REPLIES 5
4hotshoes
Advisor

I could imagine that users could use the wall tool and cut lines to create trusses. Place the wall, draw the shape of the truss, select the parts to remove and then copy the wall to multiple locations. I am sure there could be better solutions for crating trusses. But this was one idea that appealed to me.

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
Patrick M
Advisor

you mean like custom profiles?

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

No. Custom profiles is one solution but it is not ideal in some cases. If I create a profile of a truss that spans 40 ft. and I use the beam tool to place it, it is counter-intuitive to use the length of the beam to be the thickness of the truss. And the span of the truss is the width of the profile. And placing and controlling both ends of the profiled truss is not as functional as the Beam or Wall tool being used as designed. Using Custom Profiles for trusses is a work around with mixed results. I suppose the idea I suggest would also have mixed results.

Todd Oeftger
Rve
Booster

Hi 4hotshoes,

Great idea, but…

Even if this would be possible (in the near future) the problem is the way it is repressented on the floor plan. This is a bigger problem for Graphisoft and has to be solved. But this is already on the wishlist for many years. Sigh…

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

The Revit feature is called Wall Profile editing:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-F3B8DD5E-5380-45C1-B0D6-E6B081224E63

Until this is implemented in Archicad, the workaround is to place Polygon-shaped Openings in the Wall to achieve the cuts to the Wall's Top and Bottom.

Here is a recent post by @Barry Kelly as an illustration:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes/I-wish-the-wall-tool-could-go-on-slopes/m-p/398526/highli...

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27