cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Design Option Manager (27) - Importing a module without the "main model "

abdelaziz
Expert

Please Graphisoft give us the possibility to import the module without the "main model" this will allow the different disciplines to work on a common project without creating a specific floor, if I choose an "option" then I will be able to uncheck the "model main" if no option is selected, the main model is selected automatically.

this simple option will have a very significant impact on the way we create and manage our modules and above all will allow more efficient work per discipline on a single model, of course each discipline will have a dedicated option which is created and modifiable directly on the floor reference which will of course contain all the other disciplines

Thanks

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27
16 REPLIES 16
Karl Ottenstein

I'm not really understanding your wish.  You can import any module anywhere without any requirement for any other modules.  What do you mean (example?) when you say that you cannot import "the module" without "the main model"?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

hello Karl Ottenstein,

I want to import an option which is in the module file without importing the main model,

for example I have a current architect floor (main model), the engineer works on the same floor but the structure is drawn on a (structure option), it is a repetitive floor for the engineer, the engineer connects this floor as a module which contains the architectural model (main model) and the structure model which is in (structure option) on the floor from above, and deactivates the (main model) to keep only (the structure option) so he sees that the model structure, this way the engineer does not need to create a floor to create this structure he works directly in the overall model

Thank you for your interest

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27

When you say "structure option" - are you referring to the new Option Manager of AC 27?

The structural model should not typically be a design option, but in it's own set of layers and modules/hotlinks (or IFC etc).  Being independent... with the engineer linking the main model, but just sharing the structural module, would not present any issues.  If the structural engineer is on AC 27, then, yes, they could use options manager to look at different structural options... but while using only their structural layers which would be exported/published as the module(s) that you hotlink.... again without the main model.  If I understand what you're saying...

AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

yes I am referring to the archicad 27 options manager which could be used for different disciplines if the main model could be disabled from the module the potential problem would be the connections with the main model in the module the connections can be adjusted by the junction numbers of the layers

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27

Thanks.  I changed your subject line to refer to options manager.... as the original subject seemed related just to modules (hotlinks).

I still don't understand why you can't import a module without the main model.   (If you were using Teamwork, this wouldn't be an issue... but I gather your structural person is importing a hotlink for the main model and then modeling alternative structures using options manager.  You have the main model in your file.  I still don't see why you cannot import via hotlink the engineer's options (while retaining the options).  You have read the instructions for using hotlinks with options manager?  What part is not working that it seems you would get the main model twice?

abdelaziz
Expert

I am very satisfied with the options and their behavior with the hotlink modules everything works great,

but today the engineer has to create an iceberg floor under the basement where there is only the structure and these options represent the variation of the structure across the Floor , the hotlink module does not allow you to deactivate the main model of the linked file, if you look at the option part in the module you will realize that you cannot deactivate the main model, the box is gray,

So the engineer cannot work directly on the architect's floor and cannot work in superposition with the architect's model, believe me this option will change a lot of things in archicad in a very positive way,

can you tell me that with this wish we will be able to modify the module in archicad directly without creating an additional floor

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27
poco2013
Mentor

AFAIK -- If you want to turn off the objects on the main model. Configure a new option set and option, then move all of the main model objects(re link) to the new option set and just leave it turned off. This would require re configuring the Hotlink. Not sure that this is want you had in mind.

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Barry Kelly

Maybe I am not understanding the problem here.

But if I was making a module to be used with design options, that module would not have any 'main model' elements in it.

They obviously will be in the main model itself.

The module could have one or many different design options, but none of them would include any main model elements.

So when you hotlink in your module and you choose the design option you want, there will be no main model elements brought in at all.

Or am I misunderstanding the situation?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Botonis
Advisor

As @poco2013 said just create a new option as a replacement to the main model of the hotlink and move "relink" everything there.

That way you have a "main model" that can be turned off.

It is a bit strange that we dont have the option to turn off the initial "main model" but you have a solution anyway. 

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.