Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimension tool units

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why after so many revisions and new versions does this tool still not work properly! There is a subscript box that you can put units (ie mm) in but this NEVER works on the measured value but only if you click on custom and put it in the subscript box there.

Even then I think this is perhaps the wrong approach why not have a switch that allows you to turn on / off the prefered units on all or selected dimensions still with the option to enter a custom value / subscript.
12 REPLIES 12
__archiben
Booster
this is probably because you have "extra accuracy" turned off in the dimension preferences.
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
aahatimo
Newcomer
~/archiben wrote:
this is probably because you have "extra accuracy" turned off in the dimension preferences.
ben, i cannot find that setting in dimn prefs. am i looking in the right place?
oops, found it under calculation units. sounds like it is mainly a metric setting.
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd like to see a rounding off option (There isn't already one is there?).
When I'm working on a construction drawing, the contractor isn't going to measure 20 392mm on site, it would be preferable if it were 20 390. Of course if the drawing was set up absolutely perfect the measurements would match but very often you get those dimensions which are just off a round figure.
Djordje
Ace
Paul wrote:
I'd like to see a rounding off option (There isn't already one is there?).
Depends on the units; I personally could never understand why some standards require mm as the architectural plan units, when 5cm usually means nothing on site. Wheenever I see site plan in mm I don't know whether to laugh or cry ...

No, no rounding off for mm, sorry ... if you used cm or larger, you can set zero decimals and precision - .5, .25, .1, etc ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sorry Ben I think I probably didn't explain myself clearly enough. All I would like to be able to do is turn the units of measurement on/off (ie mm, meters, inches, whatever).

The only way to do this is to select the 'custom text' option as opposed to 'measured value' and them type the units in the superscript box.

I can now see why it won't let me in the superscript of the measured value because it's reserved for the extra accuracy as you say.

Still the question remains it ought to be easier to show the units?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Djorde

Cm's would be ideal, unfortunately it seems to still be the standard.
In South Africa theres an accuracy in the office and a complacency on site.
Measured with a micrometer, marked with a piece of chalk, cut with an axe.
__archiben
Booster
CADSOK wrote:
I'm sorry Ben I think I probably didn't explain myself clearly enough. All I would like to be able to do is turn the units of measurement on/off (ie mm, meters, inches, whatever).

The only way to do this is to select the 'custom text' option as opposed to 'measured value' and them type the units in the superscript box.
sorry - completely misunderstood you. i thought you were after extra accuracy in the superscript box - this is controlled by the preference i was referring to, and in metric measurements only.

i guess it would be nice to have the ability to display the units you're using after each dim, but not one that i would really use myself i'm afraid. UK standards AFAIA are 'mm' for building element measurement, 'm' for RLs . . . it's never cropped up as a problem before where the contractors are building something too big or too small by a magnitude of 10! (that's one i wouldn't want to sort out with the planners )

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Djordje
Ace
~/archiben wrote:
i guess it would be nice to have the ability to display the units you're using after each dim, but not one that i would really use myself i'm afraid. UK standards AFAIA are 'mm' for building element measurement, 'm' for RLs . . . it's never cropped up as a problem before where the contractors are building something too big or too small by a magnitude of 10! (that's one i wouldn't want to sort out with the planners )
Here in the UAE there is no rule for the building elements, although the UK education system or its derivatives being responsible
for most of the engineers, mostly people work in mm. Feet and inches are also not unheard of. BUT - for the site layout, Dubai Municipality for example required BOTH feet and meters on the plan.

I would REALLY like to have dimension favorites where a set of dimensions can keep its units; not to have it as a global setting. Or, keep it global, but setting it for a part of the dimensioning set.

Wishing ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
I would REALLY like to have dimension favorites where a set of dimensions can keep its units; not to have it as a global setting. Or, keep it global, but setting it for a part of the dimensioning set.
This is why we need styles :
text styles (for label, etc)
dimension style (for all dimensionnal elements, where the style would specify the unit used and wether the unit shoudl be displayed beside the measured value)