Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

GDL to make a Custom Shape Opening for Slab/Roof element.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I wish to have a feature to make a Custom Shape Opening for Slab/Roof Element because it cannot be done in AC22 now. I think it should be native feature to make a opening for Slab like for Wall element does.

Because when I drawing detail model and drawings for construction phrase.
If I don't want to use Solid Operation, I need to create 2 column for opening (see image) and Not just only this case, maybe more and more custom shape if it can be done via GDL.

I think it can be done this issue easier in Revit by the Family void and parameter.
So hope to see this feature in ArchiCAD because I love ArchiCAD's direction.

Thank you and regards,
HAI NGUYEN
10 REPLIES 10
runxel
Legend
Well, this is solved in 23 with the opening tool... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In 22 I would either model 2 slabs with holes (I assume one is load bearing and the other one is the finish), or actually use SEO and a GDL element. Has the advantage of being "live" (since its SEO), and that you can have a symbol in 2D.
There is an option for this btw! Use GLOB_SEO_TOOL_MODE = 1.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Runxel,

I think the point of this wish is to have the ability to create a GDL object similar to a Door or Window, but this GDL-based element is hosted on a Slab and can be any shape. Plus, it can have additional geometry in it, not only the shape of the hole it cuts into the Slab. The Opening Tool cannot do all these currently.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
runxel
Legend
Okay true, Laszlo.
You would still need two openings at the moment. But I could easily see the opening tool being like e.g. the new column (having sub-geometry).

By the way? WHERE are our promised polygonal openings, huh?
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
DGSketcher
Legend
LaszloNagy wrote:
Runxel,

I think the point of this wish is to have the ability to create a GDL object similar to a Door or Window, but this GDL-based element is hosted on a Slab and can be any shape. Plus, it can have additional geometry in it, not only the shape of the hole it cuts into the Slab. The Opening Tool cannot do all these currently.

What! You mean it would be like a single opening tool that would allow placement of a door/window/opening in any planar element. Outrageous. Sorry Laszlo, I just keep seeing so many consolidation opportunities that GS need to act on if AC is ever going to improve usability. I still think the opening tool, especially as it hasn't fulfilled its promises, was just an excuse for a new tool to keep marketing happy. It has achieved nothing that couldn't be done with SEOs or custom window openings.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know its a workaround... But you already can do this with roofs and skylights.
We just need some consolidation, right DGSketcher?

Regarding GS supposed marketing strategy in creating the opening tool: I don't think this is just a matter of quantity of tools to sell the software... I see it as way to offer tools that resemble the Architect workflow. I mean, if you create a generic element that can do a lot of things as you propose, many Architects will be confused on where the tool can be used. Don't forget that GS develop a product for students, young architects, game developers, etc... and not all of them have the level of expertise of old dogs like us.
But I agree with you that GS could do some "lifting" on the UI.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
runxel wrote:
By the way? WHERE are our promised polygonal openings, huh?

That is a good question to which I would like to know the answer myself.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
DGSketcher wrote:
Sorry Laszlo, I just keep seeing so many consolidation opportunities that GS need to act on if AC is ever going to improve usability.

Yes, I agree, at least on the code level. It may also be interesting to consider a single tool that would create an opening and additional geometry hosted on any element, of which tool Doors, Windows, Skylights, Slab-hosted Objects (such as a Light recessed into a Slab), Column/Beam/Mesh/Shell-hosted Objects, etc, would all be subtypes/subtools.
I still think the opening tool, especially as it hasn't fulfilled its promises, was just an excuse for a new tool to keep marketing happy. It has achieved nothing that couldn't be done with SEOs or custom window openings.

I disagree here. Openings can cut multiple elements, including Meshes. They can have any orientation in space. Also, they have correct 2D representations and have 2D Symbols. Plus, the Opening tool is the perfect equivalent of the "Engineering Void" which is very important in IFC file exchange with engineers. So it has multiple unique features.
Anonymous
Not applicable
As attachment image I uploaded, example when create hole of ceiling to set a light object with "Diagonal plane", not horizontal plane.
- I think maybe it take your time to model exactly what you want, and how about when you want to edit your light size?
- It will be done easier with "native" GDL support for slab opening like door and window.
Anonymous
Not applicable
+1 Vote for this