Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

I wish we did not need to change Working Units.

4hotshoes
Advisor

I would like to have the working units in Archicad be able to accept any unit of measure (inches, feet & inches, mm or m) at any time I need with out changing the Working Units settings. Sketchup allows this. As it is now, if inches is the Working Unit set, I do not even have the option to input a measure of feet & inches unless I manually change the Working Units setting. I am sure this would not be an issue with metric. But English units is not easy to convert in our heads. So it would be helpful to at least set the units to either metric of imperial and then when in imperial, the user can choose to enter 148" or 12'-4" on the fly. Why can Sketchup do this and Archicad can't? Can GS make Archicad do the conversions instead of the user? Or maybe GS could just convince the US government to change over metric. Which would be easier?

This should not create a problem with data exchange if set up properly. There should be a real-life unit that is not effected by user chosen units as can happen in Autocad, where the whole drawing could be re-scaled if the the wrong units are used.

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein

I agree. When Working Units are feet and inches, it is a little easier than your example though -- in that 148/ is the same as 148" (the "/" being easy to hit on a numeric keypad) ... and 12-4 (no quotes at all) is the same as 12'-4".  But, yeah, it's too weird that if working units is inches, then there's no way to specify feet... the punctuation should still be accepted.  And, as you say,  if you temporarily want to enter something in meters, it should be possible to add a suffix "m" (etc).

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
4hotshoes
Advisor

But it is more that just input. It is also about display. I may choose to display the units in inches, but occasionally input in feet/inches, which cannot be done. Or display in Feet/Inches, but input in inches, which can be done. Or I may want to display feet/inches and input meters, which cannot be done.

To be clear about my wish:

I would like the display of the type of working units to be independent of the input of the type of working units.

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)