cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

IFC ASSEMBLY

Sacee
Contributor

It would be great to create and manage Ifc Assembly. We often create complex obects made of subcomponents and IfcAssembly are the best way to deal with them.

12 REPLIES 12
Patrick M
Advisor

sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't that just be any complex element (curtain wall, composite, object, door/window, etc.) with classifications and attributes applied in an logical way?
what would an IFC assembly be? Archicad authors the BIM element containing the geometry and data that then gets exported to .ifc for import into revit, solibri, bim360, etc. If you have components only specific to the IFC export, you just keep them off by layer, renovation, design option, 3d selection sets.

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

We had to model an industrial engine with tons of data. That object was made of different subcomponents, any of them had their data.
With Ifc Assembly, that allows me to nestify different objects into a big one, I can import a single object with its jerarchical structure into the project.

In the element list, I can select the whole object and consult its data, or the subcomponent.
Without Ifc Assembly I have to import an external file into my project, not a single instance. if I break the external link, all the subcomponents will be converted in different objects without any relation among them.

In Archicad we can reply this relation just with Curtainwalls, Railings, etc, or more recently with beams and columns; with IfcAssembly we can get it with any kind of elements in the way we want.

but wouldn't that be the property manager?
it seems like you have a very specific need that AC was not typically developed for. But a similar case would be (for the average and most common AC user) something like a door, and all the parts and pieces that go into a door assembly. So you classify the door as a door, then build property sets for all the info, manufacturers, parts and pieces that are tied to that door. So I have the leaf manuf and info, as well as the hardware, lockset, hinge, grim, sill, sweep, gasket/seal, etc. manufacturer and product info; all tied to that one element. the sub-element info is catalogued and relayed through IFC exchange, and locally in my various schedules through the properties tied to that one door element.
Even with an IFC assembly, you are still tasked with managing the various subparts, either by modeling them as separate elements, or unifying them and only attaching info sets to them.

I think for the average user, getting more granular would be most appreciated for things like composites and profiles, especially for phased or remodel projects. So that we could say "part 1 of profile = existing, part 2 = demo, part 3 = new".

Sorry, I'm not trying to invalidate your needs here. I understand the limitations, and they can be frustrating.

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

In the case of a door, everybody knows what a handle is, ora a leaf, etc. But in case of an electrical transformer, how can you recon what or where that specific pump is?

We are talking of very complex objects, but it's very useful for trusses as well, what it was originally intended for.

but if it is that complex, where you need quantities and positions of the various elements, why wouldn't it be modeled as separate elements? 

I am trying to understand what the goal here is, but it seems like a square peg/round hole scenario. Like I wouldn't model a whole MEP system as a single element or a whole floor/roof framing package; since I need quantities, locations, and sizes of each element involved. Seems like if its complex enough to require individualization of components, they should be authored as individual components.

Bawar Tanay
Enthusiast

Hi There,

I guess you mean to use a combined element which has building element parts?

Unfortunately, in Archicad not every element has this function as far as I know, only stairs, rails and composite walls, roof, beams columns etc.

Correct me if I am wrong 😄

there is a workflow PDF in learn. graphisoft.com you should take a look at it.

Archicad 16 - 26
Laptop: Alienware M18 R1 | windows 11 pro | i9-13900HX | RTX 4070 8 GB | 32 GB RAM
PC office 1: windows 11 pro | I7-10700 | RTX 2060 6 GB | 32 GB RAM
PC office 2: windows 11 pro | i7-12700 | RTX A2000 6GB | 32 GB RAM
torben_wadlinger
Virtuoso

Allplan uses Assemblies to combine multilayered walls. Assemblies are a pain in the ... for bim coordination.

Ahmed_K
Advisor

if i understand you correctly , you want to assemble elements under a unique value , for filtering scheduling purposes,

i deal with this using properties : 

Let's say i have a small dog house, instead of calling all it's components : door, roof, walls, studs, etc...  i want to call them as an assembly : 1 dog house, and that dog house has a price, a description etc.

i create a property called " GROUP " , then i assign to all the dog house components that property with a single value : G1 , that property can be mapped to IFC properties, and used for schedule, 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 27
Windows 11 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects

Because every component has to be identified separately in case it has to be replaced or maintened.
They are authored as individual components but at the same time have to be part of a whole. Otherwise, if they are not assembled together, they will be recognized just as indidual components, but they are not!
If I find a moment I'll upload some images