Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

In place module editing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Like AutoCAD's function to edit external blocks in the current drawing :
You access the module and everything outside the module gets greyed out and uneditable, but it stays there and is still active for tools snap...
35 REPLIES 35
Tom Krowka
Booster
I'll go with the must have vote. I really miss that feature from Autocad.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Editing hotlinked modules from within the host file would be a great improvement, right now my method is having two instances of AC always open, I copy and paste what I need to see from the host file to the module, make the changes in the module file, erase what I had pasted from the host, close, save, hit update in the host file.
I am now working with tens of modules and the number keeps increasing as the project develops (the save selection as module is a little addictive!) so this would definitely be a great time saver.
TomWaltz
Participant
I completely agree with the wish, but in the mean time, "Publishing to Modules" is a lot faster than individually "Saving Selection to Module."

There's the added headache of keeping your module originals somewhat separated from other elements, but it is a really easy way to get consistant results.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
"Publishing to Modules" is a lot faster than individually "Saving Selection to Module."
this might apply to when the module is your entire floor, but I need to create several modules for small repeating elements (non object elements) such as a typical kitchens, typical balconies, certain repeating portions of the exterior wall, etc.. all these are a combination of different elements on different layers and as far as I know there is no way to publish a selection not a view (is there?)
LiHigh
Newcomer
I thought in-place editing already is possible in Archicad!

Just unlink the placed module, edit as desired. Then, Save Selection as Module from the Modules & XREFs menu with Change the Hotlink to the saved file box checked.
By checking the Change the Hotlink to the saved file box, you can immediately replace the selected elements with the contents of the module, without having to go through the usual process.
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
Anonymous
Not applicable
LiHigh wrote:
I thought in-place editing already is possible in Archicad!

Just unlink the placed module, edit as desired. Then, Save Selection as Module from the Modules & XREFs menu with Change the Hotlink to the saved file box checked.
By checking the Change the Hotlink to the saved file box, you can immediately replace the selected elements with the contents of the module, without having to go through the usual process.
This is sort of true, but if you modify and save an instance other than the original, the location of all others will be offset by the difference.
andrewzarb
Booster
Djordje wrote:
Who takes care of what module is edited in place and who has the right to do it? I clearly see a situation where two people are editing the same module in place. Which one gets saved? Each to a new file? belies the purpose of a module.
Well you could take ownership of the hotlinked modules during the sign in process just as you do with layers, etc.

This is an ABSOLUTE MUST.
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Matthew wrote:
This is sort of true, but if you modify and save an instance other than the original, the location of all others will be offset by the difference.
Seems like an easy fix to add a button that says 'Preserve Origin of Source' or something, to enable 'editing in place'. Now how would AC know how to preserve the source origin? Would the user have to define it? Or would it save ALL hotlinks to have an x,y of 0,0 from the lower-leftmost corner of the hotlink? And if one was working on a 90 degree rotated instance and saved in place, one could expect all the non-rotated instances to rotate - needs some thinking through....let's start with X.Y, but not forget Z either.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
after working with autocad, vectorworks and sketchup for years, i now have to learn archicad for the new office...

searching for fast block editing, i thought i missed something, because i couldn't find it.
I called the support and they told me archicad objects are much better than simple blocks and that i could edit an object by exploding it, make the changes and resave it... ?!?!?!? and: the overwritten object will be scaled to the extends of the first object! WHAT?!? this can't be true! where is the simple everytime to use block editing?!? this really sounds like a bad joke to me - i don't get it. which year do we have now? ... 2009? ... 1984?
what's the point, not to implement this essential funktion? i'm really curious to know it!
After years of CAD and 3D (3dsmax, c4d, modo) work i wasn't aware that i could miss such a common feature some time...
is there any plug-in or something to get this feature in AC?!?
sityu
Booster
I posted an idea, which is connecting to this topic: 3d in worksheets.

My idea has a slightly different approach, but the main goal is almost the same. (I think I suggest a little more flexible solution to the problem, with more additional benefits.)

Please take a look at it!
Talmácsi, István, architect (AC user since 1997, ac4.5 - now: ac18)