Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

In place module editing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Like AutoCAD's function to edit external blocks in the current drawing :
You access the module and everything outside the module gets greyed out and uneditable, but it stays there and is still active for tools snap...
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is really a must, as you can't have as many files open as you have for combinations of modules, if you want to use them for design options.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been trying to edit 'in place' (in release 12), but with some strange results. If I 'save selection as a module', with the box ticked to convert the replace the selection with hotlinked module file, then that module is not really 'there'. If I try and copy it to another location, the copy goes somewhere other than where I place it, and next time I open the drawing my original module has disappeared off the face of the earth also. Something to do with the origin, I guess, but not really helpful if you want to edit the module in its original location.

Surely this behaviour isn't intended? Is it a bug? Is it fixed in Release 13?
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are at 2010 and ArchiCAD still don´t have this in place module editing.
Really essencial.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why am I not able to edit module in place?
I have 10 modules, and when I take one, break connection and change it and than I rewrite original module, but archicad doesn't want to update other 9 modules. it notifies me that there is change in that module, but after update nothing is changing and that notification remains.
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Just to bump this wish. it a kind of a feature ( or a feature enhancement ) that could help a lot of us , I think. Please GS
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
I AGREE 'cause:

modules are generally project-specific

I suppose generally for non project-specific objects GDL-object is a good choice

Example:
actually I am using modules in hotel design, separate modules for different types of bathrooms and other modules for the rest of the room. (In an other hotel project these modules wouldn't be used.)
A chair in the room is a GDL-object, this can be used in any other project...

Problem with external module-files:
all the attributes (layers, layer combinations, pens, materials, layered structures, etc.) AND saved views (for different scales and floor plan, ceiling plan, etc.) need to be created identically in each separate module files and in the mother-file too, where these modules are placed.

Solution proposed:
Module file should be incorporated in project file (PLN), as all attributes and saved views should be in common in modules and the "mother" where they are placed.
In my experience s module files doesn't contain a huge amount of data. It's value is in multiplication of a smaller unit.

Best wishes for all of you,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

So far no solutions to this wish? I really feel like in the 80's without being able to edit a block/symbol/module in place :S

Thanks!
aaron s
Contributor
This is an absolute must have. Surely it can't be that difficult to implement.
jl_lt
Ace
Hi, a little bit late to the party! ive been working with modules of lately. Its a simple project with just 3 modules attached so it has worked great so far. However I was inmediately impressed by the following:

-You cannot natively edit in place as the topic suggests, something which even autocad handles like bread and butter with the great REFEDIT command.
-you cannot define a color or bounding box for your module, so everything is selected as if it were part of the host project but you cannot edit it. having the ability to select a color with a toggle on off swith would be very nice. Kind of like a graphical override for modules.
-Layers can become an expontential problem.

There is a workaround described by Mr. Shoegnome in one of his posts in which he explains how you can mimic autocad block functionality by leaving an editable copy of the object you created and then, everytime you need a change, you just resave the object (being careful of leaving a copy of the updated object, and so on). If you extend this concept to a room configuration and then to an entire floor plan, you can manage entire buildings made out of these modules within the same file, but you need to add a HOTSPOT in some corners of the object so it acts as a local 0,0 coordinate (or at least i think thats what it does, but it worked well the time i used that for a conceptual project). Still, i prefer the module concept, since it is easier to delegate the work to other people.

Like everyone else, my suggestions are:

-Implement the in place editing. They already have the technology for this (grouping, save as object, and module concepts), it would be a matter of placing everything in one place (like my belove REFEDIT command)
-Add visibility options for each and everyone of your modules. Add an ON and OFF switch for said visibility. Needless to say, the also have the technology for this (graphic overrides extended to modules).
-As for the layers, Implement a global template that applies to all of your projects (with the ability to add layers for specific projects and the ability to work with local template, as we do now, instead of a global). Another solution would be to simply generate a subset of layers with a MODULE extension or whatever name you like (like when you use an XREF in archicad and it adds an extension to the imported layers). That way it wouldnt matter which layers are in the module file, but you need to collapse these imported layers in the main file so it doesnt create a mess.
-Move GRAPHISOFT offices out of Budapest. Have you seen how ridiculously beatiful that city is? its a wonder that any work gets done having so many places to go .
DGSketcher
Legend
Gergo wrote:
Problem with external module-files:
all the attributes (layers, layer combinations, pens, materials, layered structures, etc.) AND saved views (for different scales and floor plan, ceiling plan, etc.) need to be created identically in each separate module files and in the mother-file too, where these modules are placed.
This is one of the reasons I avoid modules. I got in a real mess with this once with changed attributes on an evolving project.

It would be a big step forward in usability if GS made in place editing available.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)