Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Levels (like Revit)

Rve
Booster

1. AC uses stories

2. For every object (wall, door, beam, etc.) you need to set the ‘Floor plan/section settings’ to ‘Home story only’ or ‘one story up/down’ or ‘all relevant stories’

this is not flexible to me. 

my idea:

1. Create as many stories as you want (level 1, rooflevel, ceilinglevel, foundationlevel, infinite choices…)

2. create a checkbox for every story in de ‘Floor plan/section settings’ where you want to see the objects (with multiple checks possible)

This way you can set walls to go from story 1 to the ceiling of story 1, etc. And when the ceiling height needs to be adjusted you only have to change the levelheight. 😉 

This way the stories would be ‘similair’ to levels in Revit but within the AC structure.

33 REPLIES 33

@Rve wrote:

This won't work because in AC you cab only choose from 'show on home story' or 'one story up/down' (or all relevant). So adding extra stories between storylevels won't help you

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing then.

You mentioned you wanted to link the top of the wall to the ceiling height.

I was just saying you can do that now.

Place the wall on storey 1 (home storey).

Then link the top of the wall to the storey 2 floor with a negative offset to allow for the height of the ceiling below that floor (yes you need a storey above to link to, but you don't have to put anything in it).

Whether you have an extra storey for the 1st floor ceiling or not will make no difference.

If you do have one, you can link to that ceiling storey with zero offset.

But the thing is, you can link the top of the wall to any storey above, and as you adjust the storey heights, the walls will adjust automatically.

If you only want the wall to show on the home storey then set it as so.

If you set it to show on all relevant stories, then it will show on any storey it passes into.

If there is an offset to allow for the ceiling space, then it won't show on the ceiling storey - which is correct as there is no wall there.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Barry,

Yes you can work with negative offsets, but what if the storylevel stays the same and the ceilingheight needs to go down by 100mm? Then you have to adjust every wall individually. Thats' a lot of work ;-(

That is when you could have a ceiling storey and link to that.

Or use Find & Select to select all walls linked to a particular storey and then adjust the top link offset for all of those walls in one go.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

David,

It would be great to have horizontal sections/Elevations. That's something I definitly miss in AC. But then this section would have to be accurate as it is: it would need to cut everything at that height, even angled walls/windows etc. (and not show a symbolic representation)

Ro-Ra
Booster

Generally agree. Revit's handling of levels/stories is much easier than AC's.

Also ties in with a series of requests I made earlier about true visibility (plus hidden, overhead) rather than symbolic visibility of most objects in floor plans (i.e. stairs that extend below slabs should be shown as "hidden lines"). GDL scripted objects as well as doors can still retain their purely symbolic visibility in floor plan. Revit does this pretty elegantly. Also, if view direction (up/down) can be set in AC like in Revit then you can get rid of a lot of MVO functionality for ceiling plans.

The one thing that needs to be changed is how objects on home stories other than the current are shown. If Revit's view range functionality is adopted then this setting can be changed to "show element x distance up/down from cutting plane" rather than specifying the stories/levels.

The part that AC does better than Revit is that you can edit the stories directly in a list without going into an elevation/section view.

@Ro-Ra wrote:

Also, if view direction (up/down) can be set in AC like in Revit then you can get rid of a lot of MVO functionality for ceiling plans.

Are you saying you would like a view as if you were laying in your back looking up at the ceiling?

Why would you ever want this view?

It would be completely back to front to you normal plan.

You can get a view in absolutely any direction you want, by going into the 3D model (Axonometric, not perspective), rotate as you want, turn layers on/off, add cutting planes if necessary, look to perpendicular and save as a 3D Document.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Looking up in Revit means that you place a horisontal mirror at the horisontal cutting plane so the orientation of the plan isn't flipped as you describe.

Here's an explanation on how view ranges work in Revit:

https://atgusa.com/revit-view-range-explained/

There is more than just one plane (cutting). There's also a "top plane" and "bottom plane" which define the primary range as well as a view depth below the "bottom plane" if looking down or above the "top plane" if looking up.

A86AEDC7-CFB2-4790-A74C-A083AFBB87CF.jpeg

Thanks @Ro-Ra, I think you guide us for a new wish to have a new box for adjusting an offset to the storey in this dialogue, that would be so great especially there’s Trim elements to storey range option which will help getting the exact result you described above.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Ro-Ra

I totally agree with you on this.

Benjamin Dani
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear All,

Thank you for sharing your ideas and opinions regarding this request!

I'm glad to say that we took notice and we have added this wish into our Wish list database.
(For future reference, you can refer to it as IDEA-12380)

I hope we see this get implemented in the future.

Have a great day!

Best regards,

Dani Benjamin
Technical Support Engineer