cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Maintain perpetual licenses, do not enforce subscription

SimonHam
Contributor

Have done a search and surprised I couldn’t see this in the wish list… did I miss it?

I’ve had my own perpetual license since 2003. I pay the annual UAS (or whatever it’s now called) fee of just under £1000. If the article I read in AEC Mag is correct, within the next couple of years I’m going to be forced on to subscription at vastly increased cost. 
This is totally unnecessary and appears little more than a cash grab by Graphisoft and kick in the teeth to long time solo licence users. 

Maintain perpetual licenses. Do not enforce subscription. It was bad enough when GS followed Autodesk into annual updates. This is even worse.

5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

I have not read that article so can't comment on it.

But nobody is forcing you to take out a subscription any time soon.

There is a massive thread about it if you want to read through it all.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/General-discussions/Shift-to-a-subscription-model-your-questions...

Essentially, keep paying the support fees you are paying now, and nothing will change.

Here is a link to the collaboration web page and there you will find the FAQs and answers.

https://graphisoft.com/convert-ssa-forward-to-archicad-collaborate/

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yes, been dipping in and out of that one. GS have said a lot and done something else though! 
The implication from the article is that come 2026 UAS will become subscription though as I read it and perpetual licenses will no longer be available to purchase. I want to add another seat in the next couple of years and don’t want subscription, I ran the costs and another perpetual licence is far more cost effective for us as a practice. 

@SimonHam wrote:

The implication from the article is that come 2026 UAS will become subscription though as I read it and perpetual licenses will no longer be available to purchase.

Correct.

My understanding is if you do not own a perpetual license, you will have until the end of 2024 (this year) to purchase one if you want one.

If you already have a perpetual license, you will have until the end of 2025.

From 2026, perpetual licenses will not be available at all and you will have to take up a subscription (you will never own that software, stop paying subscription means no license).

Of course you should check with your local distributor that you have until the end of next year to purchase a new perpetual license.

You can continue to pay the upgrade support fees as you are doing now for the foreseeable future.

You should not be forced into changing to a subscription.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

@SimonHam, wrote: “Maintain perpetual licenses. Do not enforce subscription. It was bad enough when GS followed Autodesk into annual updates. This is even worse.”

This is a legitimate wish and I would hope for the same but it’s not turning out that way. So grab another perpetual license while they are still available.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

I suspect that as others have suggested in the specific thread, eventually (and fairly rapidly) UAS fees will increase to the level that it becomes one and the same as a subscription license, by feature juggling as well as pricing. So if we want to add a third license to our practice in another couple of years, we’ll have a mix of old style UAS (probably at similar or same cost) and a subscription license… I don’t know when we’ll financially be in a position to add our second licence, but it’s irritating that after over 20 years as a loyal solo user I’m getting bounced into a situation before I’m ready, seemingly only because GS wish to profit even further from us. I’d rather they binned the annual releases and made more money that way than just extract more from users. I only use every other release anyway because of the duration of my projects, so even the UAS fee grates a little bit for the 4 or 5 times a year I use support!