Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Multi-monitor support

I've never posted in the wish section before (certainly not recently), since I generally believe the developers don't pay that much attention to what goes on here.

But I thought I'd just ask (even though I likewise don't realistically expect an answer),

Is there any chance that Archicad my get (TRUE) multi-monitor support like it seems Revit will be getting in their upcoming version:

This follows the most recent versions of Vectorwors (2018) and also Allplan for quite some time (since 2015) all having multi=monitor support, which.....one would have thought would be a no-brainer for a graphics-related, CAD/BIm design program and with the proliferation of really powerful graphics cards and GPU's nowadays.

I asked about this some time back, and no response, and I swear if I didn't know better, I would think that Revit developers read Graphisoft forums and then get features to improve or add, from the requests that people make here.
24 REPLIES 24
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
How do you have both screens set up?

Been using two screens for 15 years or so now and I allways have one screen in front and one to the (right) side.

I keep my webbrowser, e-mail, PDF documents, start bar on that right screen (basically the stuff I don't look at that often) and have what I'm currently working on stuck to the screen in front. I would probably get neck pains if I would be actively working on both screens.

Having neither screen front and center would seem akward too.

Would you be swapping views from side to side when working?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Andy Melaragno
Booster
I'll chime in for what it's worth and add that I too think this is an important feature that should be added for us Windows users. I am finishing up my first set of CD's in Archicad and I really want to have one floor plan up on one monitor while working on a different plan. I do think it's a little ridiculous that the feature is available for Apple users and not Windows.
Andy Melaragno

Columbus, Ohio USA

AC 24 / 25 / 26 USA | Windows 10 Pro | GeForce RTX 2060 Super | 32 GB |Intel i7-8700K @3.70 Ghz
Andy wrote:
I'll chime in for what it's worth and add that I too think this is an important feature that should be added for us Windows users. I am finishing up my first set of CD's in Archicad and I really want to have one floor plan up on one monitor while working on a different plan. I do think it's a little ridiculous that the feature is available for Apple users and not Windows.
Wow.
This old thread.
It's almost embarrassing reading it back now seeing as how little traction it got on the development side (not entirely unexpected).

The simple explanation for that is that the developers of this program are huge Apple/Mac/Steve Jobs fanboys (and gals).

To the point where I think it even clouds their judgment on topics like this because fact of the matter is the vast majority of their users (and hence the bigger source of their revenue streams) are Windows users, not Mac Users.
This isn't to slight Mac users, but rather to point out how sometimes their development priorities and thinking could be self-defeating.

With any luck (and by "any" I mean, 'LOTS' of it.) you may have it in ArchiCAD 24.
Or not.
More likely not.
Lingwisyer
Guru
I always thought that that was part of the OS, rather than something enabled through the AC software.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Andy Melaragno
Booster
Lingwisyer wrote:
I always thought that that was part of the OS, rather than something enabled through the AC software.
I can drag tabs to other monitors in other programs like Bluebeam with no problem. I believe it has to be written into the software.
Andy Melaragno

Columbus, Ohio USA

AC 24 / 25 / 26 USA | Windows 10 Pro | GeForce RTX 2060 Super | 32 GB |Intel i7-8700K @3.70 Ghz
Lingwisyer
Guru
Andy wrote:
Lingwisyer wrote:
I can drag tabs to other monitors in other programs like Bluebeam with no problem. I believe it has to be written into the software.

I am talking about AC specifically. I just find it really odd that they would code such functionality into a specific version. I have not used the iOS version so I am not familiar with the actual interactions.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
hampden
Booster
Archicad 23 we are going into 2020 and windows still has no multi monitor support - we have so much information to display and cross reference in a drawing set it's such an important productivity issue - everyone in our office has at least two monitors, and most have (2) 4k displays - please prioritize this for the next iteration GS!
Stefan Hampden
CAST architecture - Seattle architect
Eric Milberger
Advocate
I have been using dual monitor support for cad on PC's since 1986.
Could not be without it - but wait - I am because I found a greatly stronger Cad Package in Archicad.
That being said a missing dual monitor or more capability is a sore miss for Archicad.
Production will increase as long as this does not totally drag down the software.
And I hope it would not require a manual refresh bit even that is one step to perfection
Please consider this as it would be my Number one on all fronts.
Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
Eric Milberger
Advocate
I have dual screens on all staff setups and at my home, office and job site.
At my office desk I have three monitors

Pre Archicad (Bentley from 1986-2020)
Dual Setup with One session of CAD on both before my change to Archicad
Left or Right did not matter as they could change but full cad on each
Menus with Plan on A an Iso or Section or Detail I might be working on right
I might have as many as 4 views on each screen of different things or in different presentations

All this being said - I want badly dual monitors - but willing not to have 8 views at the same time if it kills my computer.
When I have 4 or four monitors it would be for my calendar or mails or even the news.
Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
jshuether
Enthusiast

I am desperately craving the ability to drag one my tabs in Archicad to one of my other two monitors... Even AutoCAD has this ability now. Despite the fact that I have my .dwgs x-referenced into Archicad sheets, I have to leave AutoCAD open on another monitor to look at the drawings I am trying to reference.

I haven't found anything useful in the past two Archicad releases (24 & 25). Archicad 23 introduced segment level modeling which was a fabulous improvement, but since then....not much.  I would rather see one frequently user requested feature (such as multi-monitor support) implemented in the next release of Archicad rather than 15 new features.

Would it help if we created GoFundMe pages for the features that we want?  The first feature request that reaches $10,000 funding get's implemented!

ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10