BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Pens & Colour Settings

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I'd like to see the Pens and Colour system overhauled in ArchiCAD.

Problem with current system:
- 255 Colours. Why 255? When I only need 12.
- Small size of swatches
- Each colour has a number 1 to 255. Again, doesn't make sense!

My proposal:
- Make user defined swatches, each has a name (not a number)
- Ability to list the swatches as thumbnails (large/small) or a list.
- Abilty to export and import swatches
- Display the type of swatch (CMYK, RGB, Web etc)

I like how the adobe products deal with swatches. where you can drag a swatch to override another or to duplicate a swatch. I'd like to see this implemented as well.

So, waht do people think? Do people have problems with the currect setup?

edit: image above has been updated to include more colours and better icons
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry but 12 colors are not enough.
Definately.

255 is ok.
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
OK, 12 was only an example. With this method, you could have 500 colours with associated pen weight if you wanted.

The idea is it's flexible. Only the colour you need.

Having a 255 colour limit really makes no sense.
James Badcock
Earlier versions of ArchiCAD had fewer colours. 255 colours corresponds to the size of the AutoCAD pen table and was therefore easier to map. Or at least I believe this was the rationale for what we have today.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It seems having even more colors is possibly part of the future.
AutoCAD 2004 can have pens that are RGB pens. These get a pen index number of 256 or higher.
Currently these pens will be converted to pen 255 in ArchiCAD but this may change in the future. We will see.
Actually it would be nice if I copy-pasted a shaded 3D into the Floor Plan and colors remained correct. The current 255 color pen system of ArchiCAD limits this.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
laszlonagy wrote:
AutoCAD 2004 can have pens that are RGB pens. These get a pen index number of 256 or higher.
Currently these pens will be converted to pen 255 in ArchiCAD but this may change in the future. We will see.
Actually it would be nice if I copy-pasted a shaded 3D into the Floor Plan and colors remained correct. The current 255 color pen system of ArchiCAD limits this.
So what type are 1-255? Are those colours CMYK?

I'd like archicad to distinguish between an RGB and CMYK colour. Not sure what happens at the moment.

Thanks for the info Laszlo.
James Badcock
If the move to 255 pens was originally precipitated by a desire for closer/better compatibility with AutoCAD (easier pen table mapping), and Autodesk have moved beyond their earlier schema, then it is indeed time for a rething on the pens.

One more thought: let's also try and provide some way to align Zone properties and colours in this move. Its a big pain trying to alter pens and materials for each set of Zone Categories to get consistent output between 2D and 3D representations of Zones.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
James wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
So what type are 1-255? Are those colours CMYK?

I'd like archicad to distinguish between an RGB and CMYK colour. Not sure what happens at the moment.

Thanks for the info Laszlo.
What I was referring to is the fact that AutoCAD's first 255 pens are predefined, their color cannot be changed by the user as far as I remember. Now in 2004 oen can define the color (giving RGB values or whatever) and these newly defined pens will have a pen index of 256 or higher.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Be able to set line weight and pen colour independently (like in plotmaker) from inside ArchiCAD.

I have having 5 black pens just so I can have a variety of lineweights
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
One more thought: let's also try and provide some way to align Zone properties and colours in this move. Its a big pain trying to alter pens and materials for each set of Zone Categories to get consistent output between 2D and 3D representations of Zones.
this is my wish no. one!!!! just make it consistent with fill settings. I know you can use a cover fill for that purpose, but why would you make that so complicated?
::rk
Learn and get certified!