Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Property values direcly accessible in info box or floating (modal) palette.

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,
TGF thinking here . In the more BIM-oriented projects we work with I'd like to to have the properties expanded in the info box all the time. It takes too much time to click to open "Properties". When we can we use schedules but quite often it's manual work.

A floating modal palette would be gr8 as the info box might be too small to accomodate all properties with explanations.

/M
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
It takes too much time to click to open "Properties".
I am a bit confused (which isn't hard to do ) - it is only one click to open properties.
How can that be too much time?

Also edit you initial post and activate the poll so people can vote for it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
I have to admit I don't know how to edit my own post...

Properties - one click.
Scroll to the correct property
Click in the field

You can have a go at the hospital I'm working with now and you'll understand my wish
AC 25 SWE Full

Karl Griffith
Booster
My guess is that the issue here is when one needs to change property data on a series of elements, where each time you select a new element you need to reopen the property box. Additionally, if one wants to review element property values in a model view, this would be desirable. While a schedule would remain the primary tool for managing properites, there are times when working with the model in view is helpful. And as stated in the wish, with properties becoming more important, and models containing more and more information, shouldn't it be able to be viewed at all times while working on the model? The more accessible the information is, the more valuable it is.
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Karl wrote:
My guess is that the issue here is when one needs to change property data on a series of elements, where each time you select a new element you need to reopen the property box. Additionally, if one wants to review element property values in a model view, this would be desirable. While a schedule would remain the primary tool for managing properites, there are times when working with the model in view is helpful. And as stated in the wish, with properties becoming more important, and models containing more and more information, shouldn't it be able to be viewed at all times while working on the model? The more accessible the information is, the more valuable it is.
+1 exactly
AC 25 SWE Full

Barry Kelly
Mats_Knutsson wrote:

Do you see the 'Edit' option when you click on this icon?
Someone in another post said they didn't but that may have been because they were on a mobile device.

And to create the poll.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Barry wrote:
Mats_Knutsson wrote:

Do you see the 'Edit' option when you click on this icon?
Someone in another post said they didn't but that may have been because they were on a mobile device.

edit_post.jpg

And to create the poll.

create_poll.jpg

Barry.
That edit button leads to "Report this post!" in my Chrome browser. !?
AC 25 SWE Full

Tim Ball
Expert
Access to the data of each element is in theory very easy but there are two key problems for me:
1. When you are editing the text string of a property field it assumes you have finished very quickly and closes the edit window
2. You can only see about 20 characters without scrolling along the filed which is useless really
As a result I edit in a schedule where its much easier, but if we had access to a better field edit system that could save a lot of time
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
Barry Kelly
Tim wrote:
1. When you are editing the text string of a property field it assumes you have finished very quickly and closes the edit window

In the Work Environment there is a value you can adjust to extend the update delay time.
If you don't want to wait till the end of the increased time you can press ENTER to accept the value or just click into another field.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
DGSketcher
Legend
I agree regarding Tim’s point on the 20 character limit, but l think most of the time it is ok. Perhaps it just needs the entry box to auto expand once the line is full. On the time for entering values, my text box seems to remain active indefinitely even with a short autocomplete setting
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)