BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Saved History

Anonymous
Not applicable
The way Plotmaker remembers (and ArchiCAD) rembers the last saved file is driving me mad!

If i want to open an existing layout book i open plotmaker, then open existing file (by searching through our folders to the correct one). However if after opening the file i then click save as, the location reverts back to folder i last used the 'save as' command. It should revert back to the folder of the 'open' command.

This results is me putting the file in the incorrect position if i do not check the location properly (everytime!).

Can this please be fixed.
5 REPLIES 5
__archiben
Booster
Mark wrote:
it's not really something to be fixed though is it? you get the benefits one way but not the other: i've often found myself opening from one place and saving to another where this behaviour is great!

what you're actually asking for is an ESP link: the computer should just know where you want to save, eh?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Djordje
Ace
~/archiben wrote:
Mark wrote:
it's not really something to be fixed though is it? you get the benefits one way but not the other: i've often found myself opening from one place and saving to another where this behaviour is great!

what you're actually asking for is an ESP link: the computer should just know where you want to save, eh?
I beg to disagree, Ben.

The deafult Save As folder should be the folder where the open file resides. Not the previously used one, that is always a LBK folder of another project. This behaviour is especially dangerous if you discern the files just by folders, meaning the LBK name is the same (as we often have to, due to file name limit)
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
~/archiben wrote:
Mark wrote:

I beg to disagree, Ben.

The deafult Save As folder should be the folder where the open file resides. Not the previously used one, that is always a LBK folder of another project. This behaviour is especially dangerous if you discern the files just by folders, meaning the LBK name is the same (as we often have to, due to file name limit)
I disagree with all of you (kind of, or I partly agree with everyone). I would like to see a return to the wonderful Save/Save As functionality we had in Mac OS9. ArchiCAD used to remember where each TYPE of file was last opened/saved. This way images could default to one location, movies to another, PLN files to the project folder, and library parts to the last library used. This was about as close to ESP as I've ever experienced from a computer.

As I recall this never worked in Windows, and it ceased working on the Mac in OSX, so it may just be an OS thing and we're stuck with what we've got. At least Publishing takes care of much that this was most useful for.

I would very much like to see an increase of the number of recent project files in the initial screen and the File > Open Recent menu command. I often don't have the file I was working on two days ago in the puny list of five items.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
~/archiben wrote:
Mark wrote:

I am all for different commands to remember different locations, for example the "import" command remembers a different folder location to the open "command". However as Djordje rightly pointed out the "open" command should have the same history as the "save as" command. I could not tell you how many times i have accidently saved the wrong file in the wrong project as they use the same folder structure.

ESP would be a great feature though!
Anonymous
Not applicable
As a long past microstation user, they have the ability to program in which folders should be used for which file types for EACH specific project. No more need to search for the right folder! It was a bit clunky when i used it as it was only in text format, over 5 years ago, but i assume it would be much more streamlined now. Maybe something like this could be implemented?
Learn and get certified!