Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Viewpoint window: modernize the way to set graphically the camera and its target…

Picard
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

The Viewpoint window exist since the ARCHICAD version 3.43 and may be earlier to this one (sorry didn't work with the previous ones). 
Nonetheless it needs to be renewed. To MHO the settings the camera or its target are today quite archaic. 
On Mac platform: shift+click to redefine the camera position and alt+click to redefine the target position. 
And we are unable to pan, zoom +/- or Fit in Window the model.
And we have just one view we doesn't let us to redefine graphically the height of the camera and its target. 

7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly

@Picard wrote:

And we have just one view we doesn't let us to redefine graphically the height of the camera and its target. 

You can type the exact information you need in the camera settings.

Or you can rotate the view graphically in 3D and right click on the camera and choose 'modify this camera to current view).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I know that I can set the viewpoint graphically in 3D window and save all the 3D I want , so that means that the Viewpoint Window becomes obsolete? 

@Picard wrote:

so that means that the Viewpoint Window becomes obsolete? 

Do you mean the Navigator Preview palette?

BarryKelly_0-1692695279842.png

I haven't used that since I thing version 6.5 or maybe 8.1

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

No this window see attached please.

Viewpoint.png

That is the 3D Projection settings (Perspective or Parallel (Axonometric)).

You can drag the position of the view origin (camera - although it is not an actual camera you place with the camera tool), the target and the sun position, but you can not graphically adjust heights - you must type those in.

But there is no need as all these settings adjust as you orbit in the 3D window itself.

Just orbit the 3D view to get the one you want.

Then if you want to adjust settings to a particular exact height, you can do that in the settings.

You can also place individual cameras in the plan.

Select the camera and view in 3D and you will see what the camera is set to see.

Again, you can manually adjust the settings in the camera settings, or just orbit the 3D view and update the camera with that view.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thank you Barry for your comments.
I know about all this. 

So now my reflection is: Since we can manage all what you described above thru the 3D View, do we still need the Viewpoint window?
If functions of are still needed, shouldn't it be a match of Viewpoint window functions available straight in the 3D View (Perspective / Axonometric).

I do not show a solution but just a reflection about renewing the interface.

@Picard wrote:

So now my reflection is: Since we can manage all what you described above thru the 3D View, do we still need the Viewpoint window?

Well we still need it to set the camera and target heights if you want specific values.

Also the roll angle (if you want 3D to look like a 1960's batman tv show!)

And of course the sun position and sun colours/intensity.

And the 2 point perspective (although you can right click in 3D view to set that.

BarryKelly_0-1692778208650.png

I rarely use this though, mainly just to set the sun position by dragging the sun in the preview pane.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27