Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Wall Drawn by Core Center and Snap to Core Center

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I would like to be able to draw a wall by its core center, after all most walls are not symmetrical (for wood walls gyp-brd + plywood one-side and gyp-brd the other side) also once that is done, one can snap to center of the core to dimension, for stud layout at the site.
Thanks,
Joseph Harouni
12 REPLIES 12
Aussie John
Newcomer
if you select the stud part as core in the composite option then dimensions will only go to the core
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Joseph wrote:
Hi,
I would like to be able to draw a wall by its core center, after all most walls are not symmetrical (for wood walls gyp-brd + plywood one-side and gyp-brd the other side) also once that is done, one can snap to center of the core to dimension, for stud layout at the site.
Thanks,
Joseph Harouni
Before I vote, I need to understand your premise. You want to dimension to the centerline of your studs? Is this the standard in your location? How does a carpenter use a centerline to layout plates?
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave wrote:
Before I vote, I need to understand your premise. You want to dimension to the centerline of your studs? Is this the standard in your location? How does a carpenter use a centerline to layout plates?
The carpenter sets lines as per dimensions and lays the center of 2x4 sill plate (core) on slab or wood floor plywood. Then he adds the ply on one side followed by gyp-brd on each side, I hate fractional dimensions due to 5/8" gyp-brd or 15/32" plywood sizes on plans. How do others approach actual stud wall construction from drawing to job site?
Thanks,
Joseph Harouni
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
if you select the stud part as core in the composite option then dimensions will only go to the core
But if the center of the core has different distances to each face of composite wall (one face plywood+gyp-brd and the other gyp-brd only) the center of composite wall is different than center of core, and wall tool draws through the center of composite.
Thanks,
Joseph
Karl Ottenstein
If you want to draw by the core center, Joseph, the workaround now is of course to offset the reference line in the wall settings dialog ... but of course, you (unfortunately!) have to do the math.

A similar wish that I have is that I frequently want the reference line offset (wall settings) to align with the outer skin of the core. Again, I have to look at the composite, determine the width of the non-core skins, and then use that value as my offset.

So, if this satisfies your wish, let me know - otherwise I'll post this as a separate wish: My wish for a solution to your and my problem is that the Composite dialog itself have a means of setting the reference line offset. And, just as with skin linestyles, pens, fill pens, etc., the wall tool would have a checkbox to indicate if it should override the offset specified in the Composite or not.

I imagine that the offset box in the Composite dialog could have a "picker" (like various apps - color pickers, hyperlink pickers), and that I could then 'pick' a skin line, and that value would be automatically entered into the offset. And, for your case, there could be a 'center of core' checkbox so that the math would be done for you.

??

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
If you want to draw by the core center, Joseph, the workaround now is of course to offset the reference line in the wall settings dialog ... but of course, you (unfortunately!) have to do the math.

A similar wish that I have is that I frequently want the reference line offset (wall settings) to align with the outer skin of the core. Again, I have to look at the composite, determine the width of the non-core skins, and then use that value as my offset.

So, if this satisfies your wish, let me know - otherwise I'll post this as a separate wish: My wish for a solution to your and my problem is that the Composite dialog itself have a means of setting the reference line offset. And, just as with skin linestyles, pens, fill pens, etc., the wall tool would have a checkbox to indicate if it should override the offset specified in the Composite or not.

I imagine that the offset box in the Composite dialog could have a "picker" (like various apps - color pickers, hyperlink pickers), and that I could then 'pick' a skin line, and that value would be automatically entered into the offset. And, for your case, there could be a 'center of core' checkbox so that the math would be done for you.

??

Karl
Thanks for understanding, please make the wish come true
Thanks,
Joseph
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Joseph wrote:
Dave wrote:
How does a carpenter use a centerline to layout plates?
The carpenter sets lines as per dimensions and lays the center of 2x4 sill plate (core) on slab or wood floor plywood. Then he adds the ply on one side followed by gyp-brd on each side, I hate fractional dimensions due to 5/8" gyp-brd or 15/32" plywood sizes on plans. How do others approach actual stud wall construction from drawing to job site?
Thanks,
Joseph Harouni
OK--I don't get it, but OK. The only convention I've ever known is to dimension to an edge (whichever is crucial) of the framing, f.o. conc., etc. I can't imagine a carpenter wanting to do the math in the field for every wall that you find unaceptable to calculate once on the computer (see Karl's use of the offset dim.) I have also wished for the ability to pick a skin for the reference line as Karl has suggested.

(Sorry--just re-read my comment. Sounds harsh--I didn't mean it be to at all.
Dave Jochum
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dimensioning, AFAIK, has no special relation to the reference line. It either works to outside faces or core only depending on the dimension settings.

As both a carpenter and designer I have worked with both face of stud and centerline dimensioning. Carpenters work with on center dimensions all the time with no trouble.
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Matthew wrote:
Dimensioning, AFAIK, has no special relation to the reference line. It either works to outside faces or core only depending on the dimension settings.
That was part of my original wish, and I should have restated it. If one is laying out a wall by a particular reference line, it's logical that that would also be the prefered dimension reference--not always of course, so an override would be necessary.
As both a carpenter and designer I have worked with both face of stud and centerline dimensioning. Carpenters work with on center dimensions all the time with no trouble.
As an architect, I always dimension to the line that is critical to the design, and the contractors in turn know where there is give and where there is not. I always dim. openings (doors, windows, niches, etc.) to their centerlines, because the placement of the opening is usually what is critical. Door and window mfrs., sizes, etc. can then evolve without redimensioning the plans. Occasionaly the centerline of a wall IS critical, and so I would also like the ability to dimension to that line, but it extremely rare in my experience, and so I would place that aspect of the wish low in priority. I try to keep things a simple as possible for contractors to avoid errors in the field.
Dave Jochum