Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Which story for roofs?

Sculptdesign
Booster

I'm intrigued how others model their projects. I currently put the roof on the story above as I rarely want the roof lines showing on the plan. This can get confusing and complex in some instances though.

I work a lot with existing buildings and it's common for there to be a single story part with a multi-story. This method seems to offer the most flexibility and accuracy.

How do others position their roofs/?

ArchiCAD 26 Solo - Mac
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

I put them in their own layer so I can keep my storeys clean - one storey for each floor.

If I don't want to see the roofs, I turn the layer off.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Interesting idea, does it not make the layers complex?

ArchiCAD 26 Solo - Mac

I think it makes things very simple.

You would probably have a layer for internal walls, external walls, furniture, etc.

Why not one for roofs?

You can still use the 'show one storey up/down' options, better knowing that the next storey up or down is the next floor and not some intermediate roof, ceiling, supporting wall storey.

That also helps with visibility of objects like stairs as there are no intermediate stories to worry about - just the actual floors of the building.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
DGSketcher
Legend

I favour putting roof elements on their own Storey as for me it makes it easier to manage the construction details. If they are in the top storey then you can project "Show on all storeys" and then control by layer. It also makes it easier when preparing a complete roof plan. That's not to say this method is any better than what @Barry Kelly does, it really comes down to finding the right workflow that suits your project and required output.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

What @DGSketcher says is true - "it really comes down to finding the right workflow that suits your project and required output."

If the roof is entirely on the top storey it can help to have a dedicated story.

I was thinking of construction where there is a roof on each floor level - each higher floor has a smaller footprint than the floor below.

I have seen people create a ground floor storey, ground ceiling storey, ground roof storey.

then the same for the first and second floors.

And that is not including storeys for foundations and basements.

I find this hinders the placement of stairs and other elements that you want to show one storey up/down.

But yes, you have to work out a workflow that suits you and that will largely depend on the type of work you are doing.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27