Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

Performance & Crash Monitoring for BIM Managers

scottjm
Advisor

Hi All,

I am trying to get a better gauge on the performance of Archicad and the number of crashes staff in our office may be experiencing.

At present the only metric I have available to me is users actually telling me their files are running slow, or they had a crash - which naturally is not a very accurate metric.  I have created an MS Forms for users to log their crashes, but this relies on people remembering to do it.

I was attempting to harvest logs from the c:\Users\<user>\Graphisoft\Bug-Reporting-26 but this does not appear to include every time a bug report is triggered after a crash.  c:\Users\<user>\Graphisoft\SubmissiongLog.txt gives me the list of bug ids, but no further info about which files or teamwork project they may have been accessing etc.

Wondering if there are any tools GS have available for BIM Managers to help monitor things for a office, or custom built solutions other people have managed to put together?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
4 REPLIES 4
_c_
Enthusiast

Hello, I am BIM Manager in an office with variable 80-120 users and practically never experience crashes.

I find Archicad 26 remarkably stable: I myself crashed a couple of times in one year (on a large project).

But it wouldn't be difficult to monitor the crash logs and write something to analyse the data.

On the other hand, Archicad is very slow on updating, syncing etc. when you have many files, work in a team and use hotlinks extensively.

Just measured: 1 re-loading of all hotlinks and saving of that large project lasts 45 minutes.

But the worse time consumer -by far- is the attribute management.

Fixing out-of-sync attributes on the whole set of files lasted 3 days: including deep content shifting, there were around 1500 issues.

An attribute issue is not necessarily index out of sync (which is obviously the mother of all troubles), but also content differences. Such as: a certain skin in a certain composite use another fill, compared to your reference definition.

All this also cannot be made automatic in any fashion. I wrote myself a python tool to find the problems, but can't write anything to fix them.

_c_
Davor P
Booster

Are you on free or paid BIMcloud? Our teamwork related issues decreased dramatically after moving to paid BIMcloud.

BIM4BIM - by BIM managers for BIM managers

We are on BlMCloud Basic.  Hmmmm, I wondered if that might be the case.  Which is not good to hear.... 😣

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
gustavorochakv
Booster

I'm afraid that there are not a lot of official tools for this purpose

Regarding crashes, we did not notice any significant change in terms of TW related errors and crashes going from the free to the paid version of BIMcloud. One factor that did have a strong correlation was network reliability: in the first half of the pandemic the number of TW related errors skyrocketed while we were acessing the BIMcloud over the internet (a direct connection over https was better than an http connection through a VPN, but still significantly worse than LAN).

Regarding performance monitoring, we ended up developing an internal addon that collects a lot of metrics (both related to the model and the machine resource usage) and send it to an external database connected to a BI platform. Time measurements (how long some operations take) are in the roadmap, but we haven't started on those yet. We also haven't found a reliable way to automate this proccess yet, so to try and increase the data collection we currently show a popup pestering the user to run the addon if no one working in the project has done it for the last couple of weeks.  

We're also planing to roll out next year a tool for centralizing event management and application failure recording, but we have yet to test how well (or if at all) it works with Archicad. A caveat is that we use virtual workstation, I reckon this would be a tad harder with a traditional physical workstation approach.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!