BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

BIMx on Apple Vision Pro - Feedback Wanted

Szabolcs Kari
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Skari_0-1707322439175.png

Welcome! We're excited to hear your ideas, feedback, and thoughts about BIMx - the BIM experience on Apple Vision Pro. Your insights mean the world to us! Don't worry, we're officially keeping an eye on this space to make sure your voices are heard. Jump into the conversation and let's work together to shape the future of BIMx on Apple Vision Pro!

Download BIMx to visionOS today!

Release article here

Group Product Manager - Collaboration, Product Management
March MSc Architect / BIM Manager
Graphisoft
23 REPLIES 23
DA_ARCHICAD
Contributor

Is the BIMx app available on the Meta Quest 3 store as well? If not, do you plan to make it available for the Quest VR set?

Adam Roark
Contributor

Awesome! This was a nice surprise. The potential of this is immediately apparent. I haven't tried using a game controller yet in first person immersive mode, but I do wonder if that's possible to help with navigation there.

AC 27
MacBook Pro:: M3 Max / 128GB RAM
PC: 12th Gen i9 / 64GB DDR5 RAM / RTX 4090

@Szabolcs Kari I just used it in a client presentation on DAY ONE of its release. It went very well. Here is my feedback.

1) Client was over the moon using the set with his model in front of him in object mode.
2) Enjoyed the walkthrough mode as well, with some reservations.
3) Overall was a success

Suggestions:

1) This is essentially the iPhone/iPad app. When it's in a window, it doesn't really offer more than what is normally experienced on the other devices.
2) VR mode was good, but it was too pixelated (jagged edges), too saturated, and the navigation was WAAAAY to fast. The client actually asked me how to slow it down. Unless I missed the method to do so, I told him the best he could do was to pause it.
3) The fundamental aspect of the Vision Pro is AR. BIMx absolutely, 100% needs to have an AR model mode. We should be able to set the model down on a conference table in our view, or on the grass in an open area. This essentially would replace the window view of viewing the model as an object. Until this is implemented, I'm afraid it's more of a novelty at this point.

So, fix the speed and rendering quality of the VR walkthrough, and add true AR and you will have a smash hit!

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
chipo
Participant

I played with it last night. Pretty awesome! So much potential. I got a little bit nauseous in the first person view which is the first time I’ve felt uncomfortable in the headset period. But I’m sure that’ll continue to be refined. I need to test and see if a game controller works for moving around in the immersive first person view, because that would be ideal. We had a client email us first thing Monday asking if they could view their project in their new AVP and I had to tell them no, not yet. Just a few days later and now they can!

one other very important bug I want to report is that if you accidentally hit the feedback button on the upper right side of menus, I have not found a way to cancel the email. In order to get out of that box you have to send it. I just spent changing the email address to my personal one before sending. There needs to be an active cancel button email response. 

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

how do you go about viewing a BIMx project inside the Apple Vison Pro?

...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS

Dear DA_ARCHICAD,
Thank you for the suggestion of a new platform for VR/AR extension for BIMx. We are not planning with porting BIMx to a new platform right now, but I encourage all Meta Quest 3 users to raises your voice. We are always happy to investigate other possibilities!
Kind regards,
Szabolcs

Graphisoft

Dear Rex,

Thank you for your initial feedback about BIMx on Vision Pro. We are happy to hear that your presentation went well and you could utilise BIMx to engage your clients even better. Your feedback is much appreciated here so let me answer them one by one.
1, That is true for the application in general, except the VR/AR/Immersion modes. As long as you keep it running in a window, you can expect similar interactions and features like on iPad and iPhone. This behaviour was partly of the reason that we were able to release a Vision Pro version so quickly.

2, Absolute valuable feedback. In the upcoming releases we'd like to fine-tune navigation and work on visual quality. Currently, by setting the walking speed to 1x with frequent stopping is the way to manage navigation in full immersion mode.

3, We share the same vision here. Currently, there are external factors that limits us in delving into mixed immersion mode related features. As soon as these obstacles move away, you can expect upgrades in this area.
Cheers, Szabolcs

Graphisoft

Dear chipo,

Thank you for trying out BIMx on Vision Pro and writing a feedback to us. We are currently working on visual quality and navigation related enhancements to deliver even better experience for you.
We believe, that the novelty of Vision Pro is to allow navigation without a controller, though we are happy to investigate possibilities with external navigation control devices. We'll keep you posted.
Cheers,
Szabolcs

Graphisoft