BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

BIMx on Apple Vision Pro - Feedback Wanted

Szabolcs Kari
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Skari_0-1707322439175.png

Welcome! We're excited to hear your ideas, feedback, and thoughts about BIMx - the BIM experience on Apple Vision Pro. Your insights mean the world to us! Don't worry, we're officially keeping an eye on this space to make sure your voices are heard. Jump into the conversation and let's work together to shape the future of BIMx on Apple Vision Pro!

Download BIMx to visionOS today!

Release article here

Group Product Manager - Collaboration, Product Management
March MSc Architect / BIM Manager
Graphisoft
23 REPLIES 23

Dear Rex,

Thanks for finding this bug, we are on it. Also, you can Force Quit any time BIMx by pressing and holding down the 2 buttons on the googles if you encounter with similar problems and you don't want to proceed with sending a mail.
Cheers,
Szabolcs

Graphisoft
RobertMicacchi
Participant

Glad to see BimX on the Vision Pro so quickly. 

How to we rotate our walk or view?  I want to pinch and pull the centre of our view so we don't have to rotate our neck 180º.  Is there a command I am missing?

Hi RobertMicacchi,
Right now within full immersion there is no way to reposition the model, it works as 'real world' in that sense. Can you please elaborate more on why would you want to rotate the environment and model while you are in it? Is it because the too much rotation you need to do or you'd like to use the Vision Pro while you are seated? Your input here is highly appreciated.
Thank in advance,
Szabolcs

Graphisoft

Hi rob2218,

By selecting the box with outward arrows icon in the top right corner, you can enter full immersion mode. Navigation is fairly simple there. With a pinching gesture, you can start moving within the scene, and pinching again will stop your movement. You can easily adjust the speed and direction within full immersion mode.

Cheers, Szabolcs

Graphisoft

@Szabolcs Kari I'd like to re-emphasize the need for AR, or mixed reality. The ability to place the model on a large conference table and walk around it, or in an open field at true scale would really enhance the design. Currently, an app called "Arki" does this on phones and iPads. They are working on adding this same feature to their native Vision Pro app. Don't allow them to beat you to it and be late to the party! Thanks!

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

Hi Szabolcs,

Thank you for responding so quickly. I did stand up and was pleasantly surprised that it is so obvious and easy to just turn around and walk another direction in the virtual model!  To answer your question, yes, it would be nice to sit down and pinch and drag the environment to rotate around me. 

We did do a demonstration with the client today, and they were impresseD. They too complained that they didn’t want to have to stand to turn around. I would like to request that we could rotate the model by pinching.

Roland Szabo
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear All, we just released a collection of bugfixes with version 2024.5614. Please check it, and if you still experience any issues, just let us know here or via bimx@graphisoft.com. No new features are included in this version.

Regarding the future improvements, I also thank you for sharing your thoughts. We rely on them during the design and development process.

Roland Szabo
BIMx Product Manager

@Szabolcs Kari Just some feedback... I have now stopped using this app with Vision Pro, as the VR walkthrough is making my clients dizzy, and the normal 3D window in object mode is better used on an iPad or laptop.

Mixed reality/AR is needed a.s.a.p. or it is just a novelty app.

I have been able to save to FBX, then convert to USDZ with a free web converter. Then I open the AR model on the Vision Pro using the built-in AR Kit on Apple devices. This has been getting rave reviews and responses.

I had to come up with this ad hoc method myself, but R&D at GS should have already implemented it, because if I can do it, GS can do it.

I will post a how to (pretty simple) of how to do this for Vision Pro owners here. Ive been able to place architectural models on a conference table for the client to walk around and peer into, as well as make 100% size in a large, open space and they can actually walk THROUGH their project. It has an extremely positive result with the clients. Stay tuned...

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
architecturegeek
Contributor

We just picked up an AVP this weekend and have been testing. Love that BIMx is on this so early though I'll echo most of the thoughts from the rest of the folks here. In a world where we're meeting more and more clients at their homes vs bringing them in to our office having a VR experience that I can take with me without bringing a big rig and doing a lot of setup is great. The majority of my notes below come from the fact this is clearly the iOS app ported over and some of the behavior that made sense in iOS is working against the app on VisionOS. 

My number one complaint/thought, I think the decision to use the old google cardboard implementation of VR was a mistake, not only does it break from the standard UX of VisionOS, it also feels pretty stone age vs any other VR "walkthrough". Our entire firm agreed we'd prefer a room scale option (aka we can physically walk around in meat space) that has some sort of teleport command. This would be in keeping with what you see with VR in twinmotion and virtually any gaming system, Meta Quest, etc, not only that it's also the very first thing most folks do when experiencing a model in VR anyway. Allow folks to physically move and you'll get around some of the dizziness for most folks vs what is happening with the current roller coaster effect. 

The low resolution is a challenge. I get that you all are going for a universal app and there's subsequent load to create a special high res model for VisionOS but it's extremely noticeable on that headset. Regardless of how it gets there the end goal for us would be something that is on the same level of "crisp" as what you see when opening a 3D file (usdz) natively on that device. It difficult to send clients vids and panoramas rendered from Twinmotion or similar and then have them open the BIMx app after as it feels like a step backward despite the immersion. 

Eye height should be coming from device to floor height not an app setting. That not being accurate to each users eye breaks some of the value in VR which allows folks to make informed decisions on the heights of counters, ceilings, etc. This is as important as fixing the system for movement. 

I concur that an AR option would be great. We were very impressed with the Revolve app which is a static 1:1 scale model of MEP that you can walk around. Opening a specific 3D view (for example: just the framing) and overlaying over the actual construction on-site is the holy grail for us that moves this on from neat gizmo. 

We also tested an app called CADplan that had a lovely little dollhouse system which might be of interest to some clients. At the moment we're converting ArchiCAD files to .fbx and then using Reality Converter to make them .USDZ files to natively open on the AVP. This gets us that dollhouse or scale model effect but quicklook in vision OS isn't really setup to manipulate those items like an app could. 

One consistent bug: Clicking "x" in immersive mode just removes the x it does not drop back to the menu of drawings, etc. 

Happy to share more thoughts with the dev team as needed, we're going to be pushing this device through its paces over the next few weeks.

Feel free to DM me or reach out via lanewilliams.com

We're looking forward to seeing the progress on this front!

Principal/Owner // Lane Williams Architects

absolutely agree. The USDZ method is working more in keeping with what we want and with Apple's own development standard though I do have issues with it at full scale when we have a lot of topo. Have you found an app to open it rather than quicklook? Quicklook works, especially for a scaled down model on a table, but wish the controls were a little more fluid. 

Principal/Owner // Lane Williams Architects
Learn and get certified!