BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

Cardboard How To Guide?

Jefferson
Participant
I've a client without an iPad but owns an iPhone - obvious solution buy her a Google cardboard viewer. The more difficult end of the equation seems to be expressing in simple term, besides "you'll get the hang of it" how to navigate with the cardboard viewer.

I can't say that I am a great/good enough driver myself to articulate good tips - I feel kinda like the old guy I am working the thing myself. This is not to criticize the experience!! It is amazing........long as you're sitting in a swivel chair

The model is very simple, 1100 sq. ft. Open floor plan, at a schematic level still, with a daylight basement, all whitescale so shouldn't be overly involved to view. Even I can do it

If there is/are there any video basic instruction tutorial that someone is aware of and can share a link for me to forward I would be most appreciative.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
3 REPLIES 3
Jefferson
Participant
And the answer is: Dude! keep looking/Googling

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/bimx/how-to-use-a-cardboard-vr-with-bimx/
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Still a good find, I send these helpcenter links along with the BIMx file the first time I send one to client.

I generally just tell them to use the mobile app though, it is so much more intuitive than the desktop version (which also seems stuck in no new features phase).

I haven't tried the VR myself. My poor eyesight and astigmatism has generally given me problems with stereographic images.

Do you feel that the VR experience limits the 'I didn't think these rooms were so big on drawing / 3D' comments from clients during construction phase?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Jefferson
Participant
Interesting question. When I was building houses for an architect/contractor who hand drew his work, [and his work was clean and clear mind you], that comment came up ALL the time........"it's huge!" or, "that window is so high", you name it.

When it was time to transition occupations, there was NO doubt in my mind that 3D was the answer. In my experience 90% +/- of clients cannot accurately interpret 2D work. Misunderstanding the plans for the expensive investment is NOT a good thing. In this business, it's easy to loose track of the magnitude of investment this is for clients. I want my clients to both know what they are getting, and enjoy, not dread the process.There is no substitute for 3D, for client illustration, plus it is a hell of a lot more fun to work in!!

Now we have BIMx Pro. It is fully illustrative in a way sitting clients beside me in my office looking at straight up ArchiCAD never was. It is a quantum leap forward for clients, and even on an iPad it's flat out awesome. Clients can "drive it" all on their own, in their own time, in their pajamas if they want! They can stream it to their TV, bigger monitor, share it with their friends and family, and it doesn't require a meeting to express to them where we are with the design. They are so much more engaged and excited, and can really enjoy the process now - which is exactly what I want! Loading it up on your phone and Cardboard adds the level of immersion. Frankly, I could not be more sold on this aspect of output for our work.

And securing prospective new work, it's been a complete game changer.......simply an unrivaled advantage.

In terms of the Cardboard quality I take it for what it is.......like smart phones. They are incredible, but they still have limitations. They drop calls, cut in and out etc. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. Keeping things simple, I am producing everything in white-scale which really helps. But truth is I prefer it for a couple of other reasons:

1- To keep clients on point with my concerns, shape, size, form, etc. And I don't have to spend endless hours texture mapping, or worrying about matching the right shade of green - and then finding a way to justify those billable hours.

2- Perhaps more importantly, I much prefer the aesthetic to the computer game look. To each his own.......

TMI?
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory