BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

No mouse control for ArchiCAD 14 VBE in MacBook Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

This is my first entry in this forum, and I'm not completely sure if I have posted this in the right thread. Please be patient with me..

I have a brand new MacBook Pro and have just moved from wibu-key to Code-meter to be able to run Virtual Building explorer on ArchiCAD 14.

I have used Logitech Control Center as I'm using a Logitech MX Revolution and a Logitech Wave ergonomic keyboard. I have uninstalled the controlcenter and switched to a mac-keyboard and a simple "two-button + mousewheel-mouse".

This is my function summary:
Old MacBook Pro 17" (2,5 years old)
Neither external mouse nor external keyboard did work to control VBE in ArchiCAD 13
Built in keyboard and touchpad worked fine to control VBE in ArchiCAD 13

Brand new MacBook Pro 15"
Neither external mouse nor internal touchpad works to control VBE in ArchiCAD 14
Both External and internal keyboard works fine to control VBE in ArchiCAD 14

The only way to exit VBE for ArchiCAD 14 is to press Command-Alt-Esc for force end the program.

I'm thinking that there may be a problem on account of the fact that there are two different graphic-processors in this new MacBook Pro, but I'm leaving it to the experts..

Does anyone else have this problem (and is there a fix on the horizon)?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you may have confused your references to 13 and 14 with regard to each laptop.

I have had no trouble with VBe 13 or 14 on my 2009 17" MacBook Pro nor my 2008 Mac Pro. I use the Magic Mouse with both.

Perhaps the Logitech drivers are still causing trouble despite the uninstall. (I've never much liked the Logitech stuff so I may be biased in this.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Matthew.

I think you're right. My colleague now has an identical computer and it turns out that he doesn't have any problems after installing his VBE (he was never a Logitech user)

Besides having sligthly above average-size hands, I have always spoiled myself with good, ergonomic mice and keyboards. I have now tried 5-10 different high-resolution IR and Laser-mice and found a Logitech MX1000 to work fine for me. Having to leave it behind for VBE, feels not-so-great.

Knowing that there are a bunch of hardware distributors, I understand that there might be a glitch or two in compatibility. Having said that, there are still a lot of our ArchiCAD users in Sweden that use Logitech products and also a large percentage of Mac users.

My hope is that a small amount of collaboration between Graphisoft and Logitech and/or Apple, will at least result in a quick-fix for this problem.

Do you think that this is possible?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gudmund_3 wrote:
Knowing that there are a bunch of hardware distributors, I understand that there might be a glitch or two in compatibility. Having said that, there are still a lot of our ArchiCAD users in Sweden that use Logitech products and also a large percentage of Mac users.

My hope is that a small amount of collaboration between Graphisoft and Logitech and/or Apple, will at least result in a quick-fix for this problem.

Do you think that this is possible?
Logitech is a major producer (possibly the largest) of input devices so it would seem that a fix for this is important if not imperative. Whether and how soon it might be forthcoming is beyond me. Have you reported this to GS?
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
This is unfortunately a known issue. If Logitech Control Center is installed, that causes this problem. Some other drivers cause problems as well.

A general recommendation for Mac: Do not install any third-party mouse driver. Let the system control the mouse.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Eduardo Rolon
and if you need some drivers for non magic mouse try either

steermouse

or usboverdrive

---
I am partial to steermouse and since my Logitech MX mouse died I am using a magic mouse with MagicPrefs installed it works very well with AC.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Thomas Holm
Booster
Gudmund_3 wrote:
... there are still a lot of our ArchiCAD users in Sweden that use Logitech products and also a large percentage of Mac users...
Gudmund, I've been using Logitech mice for a long time on various Macs (currently a Logitech G5 mouse-excellent) and I had issues now and then, until I got rid of Logtech's drivers completely.

For a while I used the excellent USB Overdrive, but in OSX 10.5 and 10.6 I've come to rely on Apple' system drivers alone. Works without a glitch.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!